I'm a newbie: First C&C Post

TooShay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys! I've been learning photography for about 5 months now and I'm trying to gauge how well I'm doing because I really want to offer portrait services in the future. I just photographed a friend's newborn last week so if someone would please C&C these, I'd greatly appreciate it! Keep in mind that I've only been at this for a few months :) Thanks!

Here is my uneducated $.02. The first shot would work better without that thing on the baby's head and if the butt and feet were not cut off. The second one is a cute idea but the background has to go. The wallpaper is hideous and the white molding isn't helping either. I would experiment with the basket thingy on a solid background (maybe black and white to start with).

I agree with Phoenix mostly although I think the background (albeit hideous) works well because of the colour matching. Maybe take it a little more into soft focus though (to take away the ugliness of the pattern) ;-)

I think this is a very popular photo for the newborn crowd these days. I've done it. I'll do the set up again.... The first one I hate the flower bigger then the head. I bet that was moms idea? yes?

find some smaller bows.

The second one I think is fine, very nice but the legs are a bit blue and I'd try to fix that. Also that baby should probably be up more in the basket, I can't explain it but it just looks like a head coming out of legs.... it would be nice to see some body.

Gary, that's what I was wondering. #2 is distubingly similar to that other one that was posted a week or two ago.

The background isnt hideous if its what sells. Sorry but I agree with ababy that the flower is too big. I dont mind the second but the posing on the sleeping baby is meh contorted for a lack of better word. Amy Cook does a lot of newborn stuff and I really think she does a great job. I personally love the damask background and its what sells right now.

Regarding the flower - I agree that the flower is way too big, but the mom bought the thing for the shoot and insisted on using it so I really couldn't say no. I have a few headband type things and the flowers are probably about 1/4 that size, or smaller.

I really like the damask patterns, they're pretty "in" right now. Seriously, go to the fabric store, it's hard to miss.

Who is Sabrina? Is she a good photographer or are you making fun of me? lol

Regarding skin tones - I have SO much trouble with my skin tones. They just never look "right" to me. Any advice for this?

Lol Sabrina is another member here and I believe she posted some pictures with eerily similar wallpaper/background/props...they are not making fun of you at all...lol.

I think the damask background COULD work, but here it is a BUSY image. You have a curly textured blanket/cloth, the edge of the cloth showing, the damask, the baseboard, the hardwood floor going left to right and the distressed basket going up and down. AND there is something about the pattern that is like it is waving in and out of focus which is drawing the eye.

Ah, is the picture still up? If so, where?

@ababysean - Yeah, I know the posing wasn't great in that basket. I've never done it before, and this baby would. not. sleep. for more than 2 minutes at a time, so this was the only decent shot that I got of this pose.

MLeek - Yeah, it's a bit too much. It's really all I had to work with at the moment, but I'll try not to incorporate so much "stuff" next time. Oh, and is there a rule about the lines of the basket and wood floor?

Wow, that is really similar... if she was shooting a newborn we'd pretty much match, haha. Looks like she has a floor drop for her floor, I was just using my friend's actual floor. I ordered backdrops/floor drops that will be here on Monday... I wonder if they frequently wrinkle up like that one did.

I just looked at Sabrina's website. I like her style... apparently a little too much because I seriously have some of the same baskets, props, and blankets, LOL! I love her newborn portfolio, though. I'm definitely into cutesy stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back