So, I love photography. Or so I think. It has always been an interest of mine and I am serious about getting into it as a hobby for now and expand how much of my life it takes up in the future.
My question is, where do I start?
Should I buy a book and get reading?
Should I take a workshop?
Should I just take photos and submit them for critique?
Should I buy editing software?
Do I need to buy a fancy SLR camera or will my digital Cannon work ok? (dont know the model, but cost $400, so its not terrible)
OR...
Should I just download others peoples photos and claim them as my own? <--haha joking.
Thanks in advance for helping me get started.
~GM
I'm new as well...like 2 weeks new! Let me answer the best I can:
Buying a book- Not necessary, in two weeks here on these forums and reading up on all things photography on the web, I have learned so much that I have a very good grasp of the CONCEPTS and how everything work together to create a good picture.
A Workshop- This could be helpful, as you would have hands-on instruction by experienced photographers.
Submit Photos- Just submitting photos for critique by itself will not make you a better photographer. What I like about submitting for critique, is that generally speaking, most people (self included) think their pictures are better than they are because...well, its their picture and they have a bias towards it. It's great to have another set of eyes to look on as it gives you different perspectives. Submitting photos for critique is definitely a tool though. I do it, and many here do also.
Photo Software- Absolutely. You definitely want to get some sort of editing software. That doesnt mean you have to purchase software, there are plenty of FREE programs available that will get you by until your ready to buy some serious software. I purchased Photoshop Elements 7.0, you can pick it up for 69.99 or buy it bundled with Premiere Elements for 99.00. Thats what I did. No pictures are perfect, plust there are alot of cool effects you can do to enhance your photos.
Download other photos- (i know your joking :thumbup

Sure...you can...but what fun would that be?
Im new to the hobby, just bought me a camera, and did alot of reading on the net. I would say depending on how quick of a learner you are, you could be up to speed in those 2 weeks. Thats not to say you will be a professional...lol, but you will have the foundation to build on. I see people with posts in the 1000's that are asking questions I already know. Book is not necessary, I got a FULL understanding of how to take photos, fool with apertures, shutter speed, f stops etc just from the web. 2 weeks ago I didnt know what a SLR was.
Any starting point DSLR would be plenty to get going. As others have stated, the lense is the most important. Most beginning DSLR's are going to suffice. I bought a Canon XS for 549.99 and I am taking nice pictures with it so far. Im new, so take all of what I said with a grain of salt. Alot of experience on these forums...but bear in mind most of them are professional photographers or could be. I'm giving you my perspective from someone who was in your shoes 2 weeks earlier.
Enjoy.