I'm embarrassed to admit this...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by gabelimom, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's what photoshop is for :), or that movable guide on the enlarger for you film buffs.

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is incredibly easy to fix in post process, but one of the signs of a less experienced modern photographer is someone that doesn't pay attention to what they are looking at. That includes the composition, level *and* camera settings.

It is easy to get info-overloaded and fall into P&S mode... so learn to take your time and avoid the slanted look... unless it is done on purpose.

3. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I get off kilter many times. I even practiced trying to get it right, and when standing a=on level ground with the horizon level in the viewfinder, I noticed the camera felt slightly awkward. LOL It felt more "natural" with a slight tilt.

Not sure if that was conveyed right. What I mean is that if I hold the camera in what feels like a naturally level position, then look at the horizon....9 out of 10 times I am a couple degrees titled to the left. Darn near every time.

Derrick

4. timethief

timethief TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know exactly what you are trying to say. when i try to concentrate to make a level shot my hold and level feels very unnatural, it also feels like i am tilted to the right whereas actually it is a level shot.
    Grids seem to help me a bit , but concentrating on the shot is the key i think.

I would have never guessed there would be so many people with similar problems.

5. shivaswrath

shivaswrath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use PS to "make good" of all my goofy as mistakes. . .and this is one of them for me as well, vertical AND horizontal?!

I think the newer digital bodies (D700 and D90), have some sort of horizon marker that might help with this??

6. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well If you nail it every time shooting landscape, I'll bet that a vertical battery grip will help while shooting vertically.

7. CraniumDesigns

CraniumDesigns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

i do my best to line things up with the AF squares in the viewfinder, but i often fine-tune in photoshop. i use the tape measure tool, find a nice straight reference in the pic, click the 2 ends, then click "rotate canvas > arbitrary..." and itll give u the angle u need to rotate it to level things out.