I'm embarrassed to admit this...

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
but lately, all my portrait photos are coming out VERY slanted! I don't realize that the camera is not straight when I'm shooting, but when I start doing post, it's like, "Whoa, was I shooting on the Titanic???" Of course, this could be a cool effect, but only when I intentionally mean to do it. :lol:

I know I could start shooting on a tripod, but I like the freedom of moving around. Anyone else have this problem, and what did you do to fix it? P.S. This happens when I hold the camera vertically. Horizontally, it's dead-on accurate.

Thanks for any help!

I do it all the time and it really annoys me. I have the grid lines on my finder, and they help when I pay attention to them, which isn't as much as I should. Luckily for me, it's usually a small tilt which is easy to fix later.

Don't be embarrased I am also guilty of that!!

3336288740_2e98bffa1a.jpg

Sometimes when they make crazy faces it almost works!

I think having the right stance helps but it's impossible to be a human spirit level. I think for posed shots - especially if there is architecture in the shot somewhere - it's pretty important to have a straight shot, but then there is the ability to rotate and crop in Photoshop. If you're really worried by it, and can't seem to get shots consistently straight, habitually leave a little bit of space on the edges of your shots. Nothing worse than having to rotate and crop out the edge of a person's hand or something.

Last edited:
I am going to try using the gridlines. So far, the slanted images haven't been so severe that I've had to cut out a part of a person in order to straighten the image. It's just that I like nailing it (as much as possible) in-camera, and seeing the images being so slanted makes me feel like I'm doing sloppy work.

Always room to improve, eh?;)

Yup! I get wrapped up in the light/expressions/motion/mood, etc and lose track of level.

Back when I shot film I never noticed the "Tilt" , maybe it's a Digital thing.

Wow, I'm glad you guys are that good!

I started shooting seriously in that late 60's and I can still screw up a horizon with the best of them. The exception would probably be on ground glass when the cost is high, but even on 35mm miniature format I try to be careful.

it happens to me too! I now try lining it up with the focusing spots in the viewfinder, but sometimes I get caught up in everything else and forget to pay attention. I should try the gridlines though.

It is incredibly easy to fix in post process, but one of the signs of a less experienced modern photographer is someone that doesn't pay attention to what they are looking at. That includes the composition, level *and* camera settings.

It is easy to get info-overloaded and fall into P&S mode... so learn to take your time and avoid the slanted look... unless it is done on purpose.

I get off kilter many times. I even practiced trying to get it right, and when standing a=on level ground with the horizon level in the viewfinder, I noticed the camera felt slightly awkward. LOL It felt more "natural" with a slight tilt.

Not sure if that was conveyed right. What I mean is that if I hold the camera in what feels like a naturally level position, then look at the horizon....9 out of 10 times I am a couple degrees titled to the left. Darn near every time.

Derrick

Most reactions

Back