Im going to India and really need advice on a new lens!!

Ashlorraine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, in a few weeks I am going to India for a month. I have a Nikon D60 with only the kit lens. I want to get a new lens because 1.) Opportunities like going to India don't come often and 2.) It is going to be so incredibly hot there that I will be indoors during the day and outdoors exploring/visiting during the VERY early mornings and evenings. Basically, I am going to be in low light situations for the majority of the trip. I want to get a new lens that will perform well during my trip! I will be photographing people as well as the architecture.

What makes it difficult is that the D60 will only autofocus with an AF-S lens.

I was looking at this lens: Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens 2180 B&H Photo

Im no expert on this, so do you have suggestions? Money is not a huge issue, because I have been saving for months for a new lens. More importantly I want to make a good investment. Thanks!

Id reccomend a Nikon 35 1.8 AF-S. It will be equivalent to a 50mm lens on your D60. The 50 1.4 is a great lens too, but I've found that a 50mm lens is a bit too long (It's equal to 75mm on your D60) for a general walkaround lens.

I am not sure anyone else here will agree. But just out of pure convenience I would not want a single focal length lens as the only compliment to my kit lens. Especially if you KNOW your kit lens is going to be all but worthless in the low light situations.

I would go for a zoom like a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Zoom 2192 B&H

or something better. I am just not familiar enough with Nikon stuff to say. Also, please note, I could be COMPLETELY off mark. NO one else has responded so at least if nothing else this Canon user will get the Nikon guys interested and they will give you a whole host of better information.

Hmm... Are you photographing friends up close where you could use a flash? Or do mean you'll be photographing the local people/culture at a distance?

The 18-200 is WAY too slow. It's no better than the kit lens.

If you want a zoom for the trip, I'd reccomend a Nikon 17-55 2.8, however that's about $1200, and I'm not sure of your budget. Tamron and Sigma both make 17-50 2.8 lenses that fall right around $400 though, and I've seen some great results from them.

I'm not a fan of 'Swiss Army' lenses like the 18-200, but I think in this case it's a good choice. It is slow, but the zoom range makes it well suited for this work. If I could go back to India again, and only bring one lens, the 70-200 would be my choice.

I think the 17-55 f2.8 fits the bill pretty well but yeah, the 70-200 is an awesome piece of glass ;)

Most reactions

Back