I'm in a quandry

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Okay, most of you know that I love hockey, and have shot several of the local semi-pro team's games over the past few years. I've gotten to know the official team photographer pretty well--he's a great old guy. Well, over the summer, the team disbanded and they brought in an amateur team from another league to take over the name. It's a weird situation, but basically it means that most of the organization has been restructured.

The team photographer is starting to have some medical problems--badly pinched nerve in his back, etc., and is a die-hard film guy to boot. I've been hearing rumblings from him off and on through the summer that he might hang it up. I've just now recently (today) heard that the team would like to go all-digital for their photography, and tim is really thinking about not doing it anymore.

So I don't know how to handle this--on one hand I really like tim and certainly don't want to shove him out of his job if he has any desire whatsoever to continue shooting the games. But on the other hand, I don't want to sit by and maybe miss my chance to become the team photographer. :?

Id jump on it if I were you. Tim sounds like he either wants to or is going to hang his hat anyway, and from what your saying, the team wants to go digital.

Whats to think about Sharky?

Play it up front. Take Tim out for a coffee and tell him what the team wants. From what you've said it sounds like he would give you his blessing and there would be no hard feelings.

I agree with Walt on this one. I think that's the best route. Otherwise it might seem like you went behind his back or something. That can generate resentment and such. Good luck, Shark!

Yeah, tim's actually the guy that's been feeding me a lot of this information. I think he wants me to take over if he can't do it anymore. I am being very up-front with him--I sent him an email this morning and told him I didn't want to do it if it would be pushing him out of something he still wanted to do, but that if he wasn't going to do it anymore, I really wanted to jump in there.

Shark said:
Yeah, tim's actually the guy that's been feeding me a lot of this information. I think he wants me to take over if he can't do it anymore. I am being very up-front with him--I sent him an email this morning and told him I didn't want to do it if it would be pushing him out of something he still wanted to do, but that if he wasn't going to do it anymore, I really wanted to jump in there.

I think you're doing everything right so far. If Tim is the one who is telling you all this, it may be his indirect way to open the door to this discussion, you know? It could be a strange situation, but like most things, open communication, with everyone expressing their reservations as well as their interest, will be what makes it go smoothly.

It sounds like you are half way there, frankly. I hope you get the opportunity! :D

John - I think the best way is to be straight up with your friend... maybe he's telling you this so you'll step up and take over...

On a side note... I'm coming to Indy Friday to do a wedding on Saturday....

SWFLA1 said:
John - I think the best way is to be straight up with your friend... maybe he's telling you this so you'll step up and take over...

On a side note... I'm coming to Indy Friday to do a wedding on Saturday....

Cool! All the way from Cape Coral to Indy for a wedding shoot?! Wow, you must be in-demand! :D

Oh a side-side note, my aunt has a condo in cape coral. Or used to, anyway--I think she's in punta gorda now.

did she move to punta gorda or get blown there by charley?? lol

you have to talk to him... like best pals. You should tell him about your worries,. that you on't want to hurt him. I think he'll understand. All in all, the time for retirement will come to everyone.

SWFLA1 said:
did she move to punta gorda or get blown there by charley?? lol

LOL. I think she's some kind of real estate person (I don't know her that well), but she has 8 or 10 houses and condos that she rents out down in that area. I think she's got 2 or 3 roofs to replace after charley. :shock:

Yea.....we lost most of our roof, our pool cage, two trees (which demolished our sprinkler system) alot of soffit and facia..... plus leaks all over the house..... oh wel.... it's still better than shoveling snow!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back