I'm looking for wedding photographer in northern NJ, what to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al7601

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As it states I'm looking for wedding photographer in addition one that isn't expensive. I know I'll sacrifice quality being on a budget but its what we can afford. When shopping around for potential photographers what questions should I be asking and is there a way I can be certain that the photographer is reputable? I posted a local ad and got some offers for shooting the wedding. We've been looking for someone for about 6-7 hours for around $650.

any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

That price for that time is NOT going to get you a lot. Perhaps decide what aspect is most important (ceremony, preparation, formals, reception) and only have that covered professionally. I've seen a number or weddings where some nice results for the reception were provided by the guests.

That does sound like a lower budget for the coverage you're looking for...but your location/market will also play a part.
There will certainly be plenty of people who will do it for that price, but the quality is much more likely to be hit and miss.

My suggestion is to do as much research as you can. Look at lots of photographer's web sites. Don't just look at price, but look for styles that you like. When you narrow it down to a few photographers, contact them...maybe meet in person. Let them give you their 'sales pitch' but always keep in mind that this is an interview and you're the one making the decision.
Ask for referrals and follow up on them.

As for questions you should ask...most everything should be laid out in their contract. A good contract will protect you as well as them. If they don't have a contract, beware.
Ask what would happen if they couldn't show up on the day (emergency etc.) Ask what type of backup equipment and plans they have in place...in case something breaks or goes wrong.

Lastly, as a photograph myself...I'll suggest that you really evaluate your wedding budget and see if you can free up some more money for the photography. I think that people often put too much emphasis on how much they spend on the dress, the decorations, the cake, the band/DJ, the reception hall and the catering. While all of those things are important, they are only used/seen for one day. The photos will be your lasting memory of your wedding...so consider that when choosing how much you can spend.

Big Mike said:
.... The photos will be your lasting memory of your wedding...so consider that when choosing how much you can spend.
^This! Truer words have yet been spoken.

Big Mike said:
.... The photos will be your lasting memory of your wedding...so consider that when choosing how much you can spend.
^This! Truer words have yet been spoken.
Yep! The only lasting, tangible memory.
The flowers, cake, drinks, ambiance, and all the other stuff will be gone too.

Insist that any photographer you are considering show you at least one full wedding that they delivered to a customer.
When I say full I mean several hundred photos from one wedding.

Ensure they have backup equipment if their main stuff should go down.
Make sure you know about all charges...no surprises after the photos are taken and all of a sudden you have to pony up a bunch more money to get your photos "processed/edited".

Be sure you know the number of hours (coverage) you are getting. Get an appx. number of photos he expects to deliver to you fully processed and on a disc with full printing rights.

Any body (well almost) can show you a porfolio of 10-15 pictures that look good. Even a blind squirrel gets lucky once in a while. Don't fall for that one.

Ask for client referrals; contact his former contacts and ask them how satisfied they were.

Another thing that I think is seldom mentioned: when reviewing a wedding photographer's work, do NOT look at his "portfolio" as a gauge of skill, artistry, or capability. Ask instead to be shown three COMPLETE weddings. Even two complete weddings of recent vintage will tell you how good a photographer REALLY IS. A portfolio, with the best five images from 20 weddings...might look impressive. Coverage of an ENTIRE wedding will be much,much more indicative of the skill set a photog ACTUALLY has. Do not be fooled by an impressive, but sparse portfolio.

Thanks everyone for all the feed back. Everything will be taken into consideration.

To add to what has been stated already...
The next morning: flowers are dead, music isn't playing, food is spoiled, venue is changed and being used by someone else. All you have left are your memories. Really reevaluate your budget as to what can be moved around so your memories won't be compromised. For the price you stated, chances are that for the price you're going with it will be someone of lower end skill and experience. Nonetheless, photographer you're looking to get should at least have backup gear (just confirm with him/her) that it is available should Murphy is photographer's best friend.

Good Luck.

if you can up it to $3K range, I can refer you to a few awesome photographers in NJ.

And why do you want them for 6-7 hours, get them to shoot the main shots and place a disposable camera on every table and collect at the end of the wedding

And why do you want them for 6-7 hours, get them to shoot the main shots and place a disposable camera on every table and collect at the end of the wedding

Sarcasm right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back