What's new

I'm looking forward to "fashion photography" have few question .. PLEASE HELP !

Abdullah AlFedalh

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 29, 2010
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Location
Qatar
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm looking forward to fashion photography and I'm just in the start line of the world of photography.

I have a Canon 500D, with the 18-55mm that comes with it.
I found my-self more in fashion photography.

First, I'm looking for my right portrait lens that will work for me.
I really don't know what to get.

100mm Macro or the 85mm

And I'm looking for a lens that's not over $820.

I'm more into natural light fashion photography,
So I don't know what's the right equipment that I will need to use... any help?

By the way if you guys know any online courses that will help me.
Thank you a lot !!
 
For online class suggestions, see some of the things I suggested here.

I do not have a lot of expertise in fashion photography, but if I were just starting today, I would have gone with nothing but fast primes. For some of the portraiture that I do, I like to have several focal lengths. For this reason, I suggest these three lenses that come in under your $820 budget.

1. Canon 35 2.0 $289
2. Canon 50 1.8 $89
3. Canon 85 1.8 $379
Total $757

With the APS-C sensor, that will give you 50mm, 80mm, and 135mm sharp lenses, all which are great for portraiture. I really wish I could trade in my zoom lenses for fast primes now, but I think I'd lose out money wise if I made the switch.

Hope this helps,

Steve
 
Thanks Thanks a lot for the information you gave. :)
But I have a question, why would I need the three lens's ?
Do they do different jobs ?
 
Thanks Thanks a lot for the information you gave. :)
But I have a question, why would I need the three lens's ?
Do they do different jobs ?

It would be handy to have different lenses for when you have different working lengths (For fashion portraits you really want to stick with longer lenses. Shorter lenses distort the image)

I wouldnt even bother with the 35mm and 50mm lenses, you have to be too close to your subject...Id only get use them if you were taking pictures of large groups...which I dont really think happens in fashion...

Id gow ith the 100mm lens if I were you.
 
Thanks Thanks a lot for the information you gave. :)
But I have a question, why would I need the three lens's ?
Do they do different jobs ?

It would be handy to have different lenses for when you have different working lengths (For fashion portraits you really want to stick with longer lenses. Shorter lenses distort the image)

I wouldnt even bother with the 35mm and 50mm lenses, you have to be too close to your subject...Id only get use them if you were taking pictures of large groups...which I dont really think happens in fashion...

Id gow ith the 100mm lens if I were you.

Thank you.
But dot you think that 100mm is more created for macro.?
and the 85mm for portrait ..?
I'm really convinced right now ..
 
You will also need reflectors, diffusers, and even a lighting setup....or at least flash for fill light.
 
Thanks Thanks a lot for the information you gave. :)
But I have a question, why would I need the three lens's ?
Do they do different jobs ?

It would be handy to have different lenses for when you have different working lengths (For fashion portraits you really want to stick with longer lenses. Shorter lenses distort the image)

I wouldnt even bother with the 35mm and 50mm lenses, you have to be too close to your subject...Id only get use them if you were taking pictures of large groups...which I dont really think happens in fashion...

Id gow ith the 100mm lens if I were you.

Thank you.
But dot you think that 100mm is more created for macro.?
and the 85mm for portrait ..?
I'm really convinced right now ..

100mm is not just for macro. By the way, for fashion you might do full body shots, so you will need the wider lens as well.
 
I'm more into natural light fashion photography,
So I don't know what's the right equipment that I will need to use... any help?

By the way if you guys know any online courses that will help me.
Thank you a lot !!

Why? Have you ever used strobes before? Is that why you say you're more into natural light?

Most all fashion photographers are versed in the way of lighting as fashion and glamour really don't tend to end up putting you in an environment that's suitable for natural lighting as well as natural lighting often not favoring highlighting the clothes properly.

Strobist: Lighting 101
Strobist
Lighting Essentials - a Place for Photographers. Learn Lighting, Photography, Fashion and Editorial Portraiture on Location and In Studio. Portable Strobes, Studio Flash and Natural Light Photography
zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias

Some good lighting resources to look at if you haven't already.

And lights can be had for cheap.
 
You will also need reflectors, diffusers, and even a lighting setup....or at least flash for fill light.

Yeah, But I'm Just a beginner ^_^

It would be handy to have different lenses for when you have different working lengths (For fashion portraits you really want to stick with longer lenses. Shorter lenses distort the image)

I wouldnt even bother with the 35mm and 50mm lenses, you have to be too close to your subject...Id only get use them if you were taking pictures of large groups...which I dont really think happens in fashion...

Id gow ith the 100mm lens if I were you.

Thank you.
But dot you think that 100mm is more created for macro.?
and the 85mm for portrait ..?
I'm really convinced right now ..

100mm is not just for macro. By the way, for fashion you might do full body shots, so you will need the wider lens as well.

So you think 100mm would give me better results than 85mm ?
I'm more into natural light fashion photography,
So I don't know what's the right equipment that I will need to use... any help?

By the way if you guys know any online courses that will help me.
Thank you a lot !!

Why? Have you ever used strobes before? Is that why you say you're more into natural light?

Most all fashion photographers are versed in the way of lighting as fashion and glamour really don't tend to end up putting you in an environment that's suitable for natural lighting as well as natural lighting often not favoring highlighting the clothes properly.

Strobist: Lighting 101
Strobist
Lighting Essentials - a Place for Photographers. Learn Lighting, Photography, Fashion and Editorial Portraiture on Location and In Studio. Portable Strobes, Studio Flash and Natural Light Photography
zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias

Some good lighting resources to look at if you haven't already.

And lights can be had for cheap.

Thanks, I will look throw the links you give me.
Maybe because I'm Just a beginner and working with natural light is easy for me "for now"
 
Thanks Thanks a lot for the information you gave. :)
But I have a question, why would I need the three lens's ?
Do they do different jobs ?
Yep. They do different jobs. ;)

Ohh :)
If I asked you to choose 2 of the three what would they be ?
& thanks a a lot
sorry for my questions :$
 
Thanks Thanks a lot for the information you gave. :)
But I have a question, why would I need the three lens's ?
Do they do different jobs ?
Yep. They do different jobs. ;)

Ohh :)
If I asked you to choose 2 of the three what would they be ?
& thanks a a lot
sorry for my questions :$
With my feet held to the fire I would pick the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8.

It is my opinion you should refrain from spending much additional money until you know a lot more about photography in general and fashion photography specifically.
 
Yep. They do different jobs. ;)

Ohh :)
If I asked you to choose 2 of the three what would they be ?
& thanks a a lot
sorry for my questions :$
With my feet held to the fire I would pick the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8.

It is my opinion you should refrain from spending much additional money until you know a lot more about photography in general and fashion photography specifically.

lol .. sorry if I misspelled "a lot" or maybe I need to stop saying it in every sentence I type. :mrgreen:
Yeah I shouldn't spend much now .. but I need a lens to start with ..
my 18-55 SUCKS ! .. It doesn't do any work and makes you feel bad about yourself ..
Thanks for your help :)
 
Ohh :)
If I asked you to choose 2 of the three what would they be ?
& thanks a a lot
sorry for my questions :$
With my feet held to the fire I would pick the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8.

It is my opinion you should refrain from spending much additional money until you know a lot more about photography in general and fashion photography specifically.

lol .. sorry if I misspelled "a lot" or maybe I need to stop saying it in every sentence I type. :mrgreen:
Yeah I shouldn't spend much now .. but I need a lens to start with ..
my 18-55 SUCKS ! .. It doesn't do any work and makes you feel bad about yourself ..
Thanks for your help :)

No it doesn't. It's not the best lens out there, but once again, lighting and composition can make or break a photo where changing from an 18-55 to a 50mm prime won't do much for you, especially if you're shooting not shooting at the widest aperture.

And keep an eye open for something on the wide angle. I'm a sucker for wide angle portraits

 
Last edited:
With my feet held to the fire I would pick the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8.

It is my opinion you should refrain from spending much additional money until you know a lot more about photography in general and fashion photography specifically.

lol .. sorry if I misspelled "a lot" or maybe I need to stop saying it in every sentence I type. :mrgreen:
Yeah I shouldn't spend much now .. but I need a lens to start with ..
my 18-55 SUCKS ! .. It doesn't do any work and makes you feel bad about yourself ..
Thanks for your help :)

No it doesn't. It's not the best lens out there, but once again, lighting and composition can make or break a photo where changing from an 18-55 to a 50mm prime won't do much for you, especially if you're shooting not shooting at the widest aperture.

I'm Confused again, sorry
So ..? 85mm would do more changing ..?
Yeah I know, It's a bit challenging I don't know anything about lighting !
I know it's the key of photography..
For now .. I need a lens to start ! Cause 18-55 is my nightmare ^_^
What's your suggestion now ?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom