Hellrot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.connerallred.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. First I'll introduce myself.

I have been shooting for about a year now with most of my "training" coming from my step-dad who is a photographer here in Utah (Scott Breen). I mainly shoot cars but would like to branch into portraiture as well. On to my question:

Right now, I shoot with a Nikon D70 and I think it's time to upgrade. I'm choosing between a D200 and D90.

Which camera would you buy?
Through Nikon I can get the D90 body only for $730, and I can get the D200 used for about $500. I was mainly looking at the D90 first but the D200 DOES have a faster shutter speed. Anyway, what would give me the best image? Is the D90 processor better?

Thanks all!

Here is some of my "work" just so there's something to look at here.
l1.png

il1.png

b1.png

I'd go with the d200 unless you really want video. Also leaves you more money for lenses.

Edit: Also, may I ask where your getting a d90 for 730?

I work at best buy; It's an accommodation.

Just wondering: Price isn't swaying your opinion is it? To save me money for lenses? I Have some VERY good lenses that my dad lets me use so lenses aren't an issue. I just want the best body of the two.

No. That was just a bonus. I'd still go for the d200. To me it feels better, its built stronger, better weather sealing, easier access to basic controls (for me), 5 fps. Overall I just prefer it. The only thing (IMO) the d90 has going for it is the newer sensor. For some, that might be enough, for me, its not.

What will the newer sensor do? Nicer shot?
The CMOS sensor in the D90 is the same sensor that is in the D300. The D200 sensor is a CCD.

The D90 will have better Image Quality and better high ISO performance than the D200.

The D200 has 1 more stop of shutter speed and 2 more fps if that is something you think you need. It can also auto bracket up to 9 images to the D90's 3 which is nice if you want to make HDR's.

The D200 was first released in November of 2005. Best Buy has been selling new D200's online for $600.00 recently.

The D90 will have better Image Quality and better high ISO performance than the D200.

This seems more important to me. I dont care if the D200 has better weather sealing or quicker access to controls, I've never had a problem with either of these scenarios. I'd want good images and ISO performance....

Hmm. Maybe I will infact go with the D90.

I'm more worried about shot quality.

I shoot cars a lot and like to shoot sports, but it's car sports. shutter speed 1/4000 should be fine. The continuous drive on my D70 right now is fine, and The CMOS sounds smexy.

Yeah, I agree that the image quality of the d90 is better, but I just cant get used to using it after i've used my d200. For you it probably wont be a problem. Though my next camera is gonna be a d700 so in reality my answer is neither lol.

Exactly. Totally more important to have a nice camera then a car :D. The detail on that thing is amazing, just wish I had the 8 grand. hence why i'm going to get the d700 lol.

I am not sure where I read it, but one of the magazines did a side by side comparison between the D300 and the D90 on picture quality. The D90 had a just slightly better test rating than the D300. The magazine stated that was probably due to the D90 having a newer algorythms and tweaking since the D300 first came out. Can't remember the actual numbers but it was like 89.4 for D90 vs. 88.6 for the D300. Was pretty close but they definately rated the pictures from the D90 higher.

Of course I read this just after buying a D300 over a D90. :lol: If it were me between a D200 and a D90. The D90 wins out. Obviously the D300 won out, and I would probably pick it again (actually did have 2 now).

As for the shutter speed. I think you would be hard pressed to use that extra speed in the shutter, at least would not have a need for it very often. The D200 and D300 have a longer expected shutter life. But in these days unless your really clicking them off all the time, I think your going to be hard pressed to wear out the D90 before you want to upgrade to a newer better body in a couple years.

Oh one more thing.

WELCOME to TPF

Benhasajeep is right. If it was between the D300 and D90, the D300 would get my vote, but since its between the D200 and D90, the D90 wins.

Most reactions

Back