Im new here from the uk hi all

mistathunda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I'm new here (obviously as I'm in the welcome forum lol) my name is Mark and I'm still experimenting with photography I like macro and longer lenses and I have not very long just bought a DSLR a Nikon D3100 I love it and can't wait to get a macro lense so I can play properly
Anyway I'm just saying hi to you all and hopefully I'll gain some tips and swap some stories

Hi Mark. I'm still experimenting with photography as well..probably always will!

cheers,

OttoBergmark said:
Hi! you are very welcome! I myself like longer lenses! Love my 70-200 Macro II from sigma! it's a real beuty! If you like to see my blog, here it is ; www.ottobergmark.wordpress.com

What macro lens are you going to buy?

I've been looking at the new 40mm nikon lens but I need to do some saving before I take a serious look at buying my tamron 70-300 has a macro setting but its not a 1:1 reproduction but its ok for now to play with

dots said:
Hi Mark. I'm still experimenting with photography as well..probably always will!

cheers,

What kinda things are you into because I'm not sure at the moment but I think nature and still life kinda stuff at the mo

Yea nature/landscape and still life...people if i get the chance.

ANything really :) color, light and shadow, form (b&w). I like heavy grain too

dots said:
ANything really :) color, light and shadow, form (b&w). I like heavy grain too

How do you get that heavy grain effect? I know it's not just a case of adding noise, I really like that type of image, do you have any examples of this I could see? What software do you have I'm using elements 8

Well... fast film like 400/800/1600/3200 film speed - more in the old days not so easy to get now. With digital, i was using an older model of Nikon camera that gets very noisy from about 800 ISO upwards. And using the "Hi1 and Hi2 boost" modes which equal 1600 and 3200, there is very film-like or random noise which in b&w gives a grainy look.

With editing i like to keep it simple most of the time. I use a free app called FastStone Image Viewer for basics like Levels, Curves, Sharpening. When i dodge and burn ..and a few other things, i use GIMP.

dots said:
Well... fast film like 400/800/1600/3200 film speed - more in the old days not so easy to get now. With digital, i was using an older model of Nikon camera that gets very noisy from about 800 ISO upwards. And using the "Hi1 and Hi2 boost" modes which equal 1600 and 3200, there is very film-like or random noise which in b&w gives a grainy look.

With editing i like to keep it simple most of the time. I use a free app called FastStone Image Viewer for basics like Levels, Curves, Sharpening. When i dodge and burn ..and a few other things, i use GIMP.

Interesting, though I presume when shooting at such high iso settings you would need close the aperture down to let less light onto the sensor am I talking rubbish or is that right I am totally fresh to all this really dots .... GIMP yeah I think I need to investigate that, heard of it but never looked at or used it

dots said:

Oh and my camera is fairly new (D3100) so noise is kept to absolute minimum even when shootin HI 1 and even HI 2 well I say that but not enough noise to to get that real gritty B&W type shot

Yea you could do that or use high shutterspeed..but actually a lot of that i find i'm doing in early morning (sometimes before sunrise) or indoors with just a little bit of light.

i try and postt some stuff soon..i'm not on the pc with my photos. So your D3100 also does hi1 and hi2? I though tthat was just on old cameras like D1/D2. Learnt something there! I'm sure your ISO performance is much better than my old camera.

dots said:
i try and postt some stuff soon..i'm not on the pc with my photos. So your D3100 also does hi1 and hi2? I though tthat was just on old cameras like D1/D2. Learnt something there! I'm sure your ISO performance is much better than my old camera.

Yup HI1 and HI 2 on my bit o kit but yeah probably better as I said I do get noise on these setting but more of an annoying level than a pleasing level .... As the saying goes you learn something new every day ..... Oooooh and I love learning

welcome5_smilie.gif

Most reactions

Back