Welcome to the forum!

C&C wise your shot looks pretty good. Nicely exposed and you've got some detail in the shadows, some nice colours in the sky, good raked golden sunlight with some nice backlit frost branches, dof looks good and image looks sharp. Compositionally it's actually pretty good, the horizon is central which is usually a bit of a no no however I think it does work here because you have that diagonal line of the foreground cutting that half ino a trianngular half, then the brightness of the sun is balanced out by the little foreground hill on the left that's lit by the sun. Crit wise I'd say the processing on the hill looks slightly odd to me and a bit bokeh like. The composition, although a good use of shape lacks a bit of foreground interest that takes me into the scene, this kind of layering with shape I think works better with telephoto lens lengths where the shortening effect is greater. Pretty strong shot though!

Globally I increased the mid-tone contrast and reduced the overall contrast.
I cropped about 1/5th of the frame off the top and added a neutral density gradient (with dither) to the sky.
Last I added a narrow black border and saved the file with dither on.

39499362121_8bae7e87e7_kEdit.jpg

Nicely done. I did think whatever's growing (or not growing) in the foreground is awfully blue frosted, but yet I like it. (Maybe that occurs naturally on top of a mountain, not where I live! lol) I like the nuances of the blues and lavenders and getting that warm light just at the right time.

I keep going back to look at it, which to me says something. It's really beautiful. I don't think I'd mess with a good thing.

I like the colors that you've captured and the light on the mountains - very soft and pretty. I'm not that crazy about the foreground - for me, it kind of clashes with the smooth serenity of the background. I want to see what the view is camera left.

I like the contrast between the cold frozen trees and the soft warmth you get from mountain peaks in the background. Very nice.

Would like to know your thoughts on the image, I love constructive criticism, feel free to edit and show me what you would have done!
Frozen Mountains by Marshall Ross, on Flickr

It's a nice composition, but for me this picture is absolutely too blue, the colors are not real and you can not have noticed this scene in this strange blue color. The tint looks very much like color infrared (slide)film, as in the film era, without using the correct filters on the lens.
I made some adjustments: color correction, brighten foreground, changed the color and "look" of the horizon, little crop.
Of course this is completely my personal opinion.
Success!

View attachment 152033

Last edited:
I like the layering of the photo, a lot. I took just a little off the top and then tried to whiten the foreground frost a bit (maybe too much). Where was the photo taken? I've never been anywhere near NC, just curious if it's there.
Ross-1.jpg

Great image, nicely broken up with the foreground and the colours and reflections in the background from the sunrise. Nice shot.

Would like to know your thoughts on the image, I love constructive criticism, feel free to edit and show me what you would have done!
Frozen Mountains by Marshall Ross, on Flickr
First off were not too far apart. I live in SE Kentucky. Here there is almost always a blue haze in the air. I love it and try and capture it . That being said for me this photo is a little too bluish. Almost purplish. If that is what you were going for then good job! Just me:fat:

I like the second one with the horizon out of the centre of the image. Although a centrally located horizon does work in some case, e.g., reflections in a water body, etc., in this case, the problem with the horizon in the centre is that the viewer is left to figure out which part of the image is more important, the sky, or the mountains. Since there are no significant clouds to provide detail in the sky, the mountains become more important thus raising the horizon to include more of the mountains and foreground makes a better picture, IMHO.

That the frost and, if you look carefully, the snow on the mountains has a bluish tinge to it could be a white balance problem which often occurs when you are shooting snow scenes, or scenes with lot of white in it. In my case, when shooting such scenes, I try to use an exposure compensation of +1 to +2 and this usually works to remove the bluish tinge that can occur under these conditions. You might want to experiment to see what works in your case. You should also be able to remove this cast in whatever processing software you are using. Of course, if is always easier if you are shooting in raw. If you do a Google search on "correcting blue snow in photographs", or something similar, you should find plenty of information on the subject.

Otherwise, this is a very nice image. I like its clarity. I would be curious to know where it was taken - always nice to let folks know these things, together with other technical stuff.

One thing that always interests me about mountain photos like this - I am assuming that these are the Appalachians in North Carolina, that you photographed - is that, if you look at all the peaks of the mountains, they all appear to be at roughly the same altitude. This suggests to me that what we are seeing is a very ancient plateau that has been uplifted by forces within the earth and then eroded by external forces of wind and water to shape the topography today. This isn't relevant to your image quality, just a casual observation by someone with a significant geological background. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back