I'm not sure how I feel about this (shot of rose).

Try again with all that, and end up with what? Another shot of a rose? I appreciate what you're saying, and most of your critique is spot on, but if I follow all those tips, will I just end up with another cookie-cutter shot of a rose that's been done a thousand times before? Part of what I was trying to do, I guess, was create a shot that looked fresh, or different. And yeah, I made some bad technical errors (mis-focused, too saturated), but I don't want what I'm doing to become just another shot, you know?

Thanks for the comments, Switch. And even though I'm getting sort of anti-traditional, and to a point, anti-the better way to do things, I'm gonna do a reshoot later today hopefully, and I'll certainly try out all the things you just suggested I do, because I want to give what you told me a fair shake. Even if I want to use my gel filters and use harsh lighting, I'll give your way a go too HAHA. Thanks again for the comments, Switch, and everyone else.

I'm not trying to shoot you down here, I just need some clarification. Why exactly is the rose on concrete? what's the story here? You don't want to be "cookie cutter", so than what are you trying to say? Is the statement you're trying to convey based purely on aesthetics? Or is there layered meaning?

As far as we all know, this photo's message is: roses can lay on concrete.

If so, great. There is nothing wrong with that. Tons of images I shoot don't mean squat or have any particular meaning, they're just based on aesthetics. Take the zombie/vampire/freaky dude thread I made last week. I didn't want it to mean or convey anything except "hey, it's a girl, a zombie guy, and the hunter. Look at them all die!"

It's just that with such a simple composition, standing on it's own, in an attempt to not be "cookie cutter", what are you really trying to say besides "i'm trying not to be cookie cutter"? that's obvious.

Personally, I don't find it to say much because it looks like an experiment with gels more than anything else really.

I'd say most of my shots are based purely on aesthetics.

The rose is laying on the concrete because I didn't really have anywhere else to put the rose, to be honest. The table was in use, the counter was in use, the floor looks bad, and on and on and on. The main point of shooting was to experiment with gel filters, I can admit that.

And I really am taking what you're saying to heart, because I like your work, and even if I didn't, I respect what you have to say, Switch, which is why I'm gonna try the pointers you've given me, and hey, maybe I'll see the results and realize there are a lot of other ways to make a shot 'different' than using gel filters and harsh shadows.

I think its great. Beautifal shot

Honestly, I like it as it is, besides the whole out of focus part, I would like to see the reshoot (same lighting and everything) with the rose in focus. :)

here's one that no one has asked:
why the 50/1.4?

Red Rose on Concrete made me flash back to the Early 90's Batman Movie where Wayne Drops the Roses on the Sidewalk in front of the theater. Maybe I'm just a nerd.

Overall, I like the Shot, but things I might change are the intensity of the Lighting with Filters. (The Red and Green Seem Harsh) and try shooting with a Different DoF to get just the Rose in Focus and the leave as well as the stem out of Focus.

Just some thoughts.

To Invisble: I very rarely shoot with natural light.

To Applefanboy: Thank you for the kind words.

To Notelliot: Do you mean why the 1.4 for this shot, or in general? For this shot, it's the lens I had on the camera and it was the best option I had for the shot I wanted. Why did I get it period? I wanted it for portraiture and I could afford the 1.4 versus the 1.8, so I went with it.

To Doulos: That was a bit of a nerdy reference HAHA. I'm gonna try a reshoot perhaps (I still haven't gotten around to it.)

Most reactions

Back