I'm on budget and want to start home studio - what gear do I need

machangezi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've mostly done photography in natural light. Recently, I watched a workshop DVD on studio photography by Zack Arias. That workshop has got me thinking to do studio photography where I have control over light (I can have control over light outdoors too but not as much). I plan on starting a photo studio at home where I have 600 square foot of space with ceiling at somewhere between 12-18 foot. This photo studio is meant for me doing what I like to do (nothing commercial).

What studio gear do I need to start a basic photo studio which is let's say within $500 - 800? I say $500-800 cos I'm planning on buying 5D Mark III, a couple of EF lenses like EF 24-70mm f/2.8 and EF 70-200 f/2.8. Hence, not a lot of cash for spending on studio gear at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

In addition to a camera you're going to want some lights, a backdrop, light stands, various light modifiers, tripod, cable or remote shutter release, and props as needed.

You don't mention what sort of work you're going to do, so, assuming 'general portraiture' I concur with Braineack's suggestion for the Flashpoint 3 light outfit (more lights are always better and in a relatively small space like that 150 w/s is lots of light). Backgrounds are nice, but if you can paint one wall of your studio a flat, near white tone, then you really don't need one; just change colours as required by gelling a background strobe. The one thing the kit doesn't come with is a triggering system; that can be anything from a PC cord to radio trigger (You can pick up a Yongnuo set for well under $50). I also consider a flash meter essential for studio work; yes, you can 'trial and error' it, but that takes time and isn't always ideal. Of course there are a thousand more things you could get, but as to what you need, really, lights & camera are it.

You'll need a range of light modifier types, shapes, and sizes to utilize the wide variety of studio portrait lighting styles needed to minimize subject facial/body flaws and maximize their good features.
You can expand your selection over time.
You'll also need a variety of reflectors, scrims, flags, diffusion panels, black flats, clamps, boom arms, hair lights, kicker lights, and other lighting aids.

Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter)
Photographic Lighting Equipment: A Comprehensive Guide for Digital Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys. It helps a lot.

Flashpoint 3 it is. Thanks

Tirediron: just general portraiture is all I plan on doing. Have me girl model for me and I'll shoot to death until I master the art. :)

So everyone agrees on Flashpoint 3 for general portraiture? Braineack?

Last edited:
I think I would spend another few dollars and buy THREE of these kits. Why? Three identical monolights, all with user-replaceablke flash tubes. And three identical softboxes. And better and taller light stands. Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320SB2

The first kit has one umbrella, and one softbox, and one "economy" basically throwaway light unit, for $450...this is three x $159, but the third light is a higher-quality unit AND comes with better compatibility with reflectors and barn doors.

To me, three of these 320M + softbox kits is the better course of action. The taller light stands alone are worth the extra few dollars.

Umbrellas are CHEAP...same with the Adorama barn doors accessory, low cost, but well,well worth buying, but it only fits the larger reflector of the 320M lights. The economy third light in the 3-light kit above is not as versatile a light in terms of what accessories will fit it.

Thanks for the suggestion, Derrel.

And thank you very much KmH for suggesting Kelby's book. Bought it right away and love it. I have spent hundreds of hours leafing through different books and watching videos but nothing like Scott Kelby's 'light it, shoot it, retouch it'. Once again thanks buddy.

Most reactions

Back