I'm thinking about going as a professional photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing the OP isn't coming back. He got opinions he didn't want, so he left.

It happens...

Huh, you want another fight? Let's hope the Jedi Bunny doesn't lock this thread.

A "fight"? What in the Hell are you talking about?

You asked what people thought about you trying to go pro. People told you what they thought.

Almost without exception, you were told you're not ready.

You made excuses for bad photographs, even going so far as to say it was a "bad track". That's laughable, considering that you got some very nice shots at that track. I guess it's only a "bad track" sometimes, right? What track was that, anyway?

Basically, you were expecting everyone to coddle you and tell you that you should go for it. Well, you probably need to start wrapping your head around the fact that you're simply not at a stage where turning pro should even be a remote consideration. Nothing we have to view indicates that you're ready. Oddly, though, you don't want us to form our opinions based on what's out there for us to see.

You're not ready to be a professional. Right now, you shouldn't even be thinking that far ahead. You need to be learning.

Photographically speaking, if you were thrown into a pool, you'd be unable to swim...

Dude! Chill out! I was joking!

A point about my own personal fortune made from being a professional photographer and depending on who knows or doesn't me, regarded as a pretty good one. I've had years that top out over a $100k and other years under $30k, but always falling somewhere in the middle. This has started off as a good year, last year sucked. I bought new gear this year and that puts me behind again. The thing is that I really enjoy what I do, when I'm shooting, when I'm not shooting, I'm stressing about it. it's a job. like any other job, and completely different from any other job. It's a job that all kinds of people want to do, but not all people are cut out for it, especially as freelancers.

Huh, you want another fight? Let's hope the Jedi Bunny doesn't lock this thread.

You asked what people thought about you trying to go pro. People told you what they thought.

You made excuses for bad photographs, even going so far as to say it was a "bad track". That's laughable, considering that you got some very nice shots at that track. I guess it's only a "bad track" sometimes, right? What track was that, anyway?

Basically, you were expecting everyone to coddle you and tell you that you should go for it. Well, you probably need to start wrapping your head around the fact that you're simply not at a stage where turning pro should even be a remote consideration. Nothing we have to view indicates that you're ready. Oddly, though, you don't want us to form our opinions based on what's out there for us to see.

You're not ready to be a professional. Right now, you shouldn't even be thinking that far ahead. You need to be learning.

Photographically speaking, if you were thrown into a pool, you'd be unable to swim...

No you weren't. You were reacting.

You don't like what's being said. You don't like that everyone, almost to a man, is telling you you're not ready; probably because you think you are. You wanna' "go pro"? Knock yourself out. It's only going to benefit every other photographer in your market.

Get to a point where you're able to accept responsibility for poor photographs, instead of blaming a "bad track" (what the Hell does that even mean?), or by saying that bad lighting doesn't mean it's a bad picture. News flash, Chief: IT DOES.

If you're only going to make excuses, and not take responsibility, then there's really little point in talking to you.

Actually, if you're only going to make excuses, and not take responsibility, then there's really little point in asking your original question...

You don't like what's being said. You don't like that everyone, almost to a man, is telling you you're not ready; probably because you think you are. You wanna' "go pro"? Knock yourself out. It's only going to benefit every other photographer in your market.

Get to a point where you're able to accept responsibility for poor photographs, instead of blaming a "bad track" (what the Hell does that even mean?), or by saying that bad lighting doesn't mean it's a bad picture. News flash, Chief: IT DOES.

If you're only going to make excuses, and not take responsibility, then there's really little point in talking to you.

Actually, if you're only going to make excuses, and not take responsibility, then there's really little point in asking your original question...

I was joking, because I knew you were reacting to this. You need to loosen up. You get too serious!

Could everyone keep in mind that we're talking to a student (not sure how young/old a student, but I'm pretty sure a student). If there's a comment that seems to be a reaction and someone doesn't feel it's appropriate I think it would be better to at least try to say so in a professional way.

I was joking, because I knew you were reacting to this. You need to loosen up. You get too serious!

Oh, so you're ready to take responsibility for the quality of the photos of yours that are available for people to view?

Because, once you do that, you'll reach the only reasonable conclusion: You're not ready...

Could everyone keep in mind that we're talking to a student (not sure how young/old a student, but I'm pretty sure a student). If there's a comment that seems to be a reaction and someone doesn't feel it's appropriate I think it would be better to at least try to say so in a professional way.

Tried that.

He blamed it on a "bad track", and tried to promote the idea that photos which were bad because of lighting weren't really bad at all.

I'm not about to assume this is a student, simply because he/she has offered spare little on which to determine that. Frankly, it's every bit as likely that it's a 40 year old who's fed up with his/her current career...

Such conduct is commonly regarded as trolling. As I tried to convey in a friendly manner before, you may want to show some respect for the time and effort
members of the community invest to attend your requests. It's when you're told where your shortcommings lie that you can profit the most.
You can always choose to ignore it of course, but that makes it all rather pointless - doesn't it?

He said he was joking. I suggest we all take each other at their word and chill out.

Such conduct is commonly regarded as trolling. As I tried to convey in a friendly manner before, you may want to show some respect for the time and effort
members of the community invest to attend your requests. It's when you're told where your shortcommings lie that you can profit the most.
You can always choose to ignore it of course, but that makes it all rather pointless - doesn't it?

You don't know Steve. There will be time you are going to hate him, and there will be time you are going to love him. He likes to get peoples' throat.

You don't know Steve. ... He likes to get peoples' throat.

You're right. I don't know him yet and it's obvious he does not back out easily. I'm saying this without any appraisal.
My comment was not limited to that fact alone though. Speaking for myself, it's nothing personal when I give you
negative feedback on your available images. If I didn't care, I simply wouldn't answer.

You don't know Steve. There will be time you are going to hate him, and there will be time you are going to love him. He likes to get peoples' throat.

Don't flatter yourself, Sport. You don't know me, either...

Don't ask the internet for support. Even if you were ready, you'd have hundreds of people telling you that you aren't. Only you truly know if you're capable of running a photography business
and meeting the requests of your clients.

Instead of trying to get a reaction from people why aren't you participating in the legitimate discussion that is attempting to occur in this thread? Genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back