I'm torn!! Help with choosing a lens please!

bhee321

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im debating between a tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or a tamron 70-200 f/2.8. with the pics that i take now i could make good use of both. does anyone have experience with either?

That's a tough call. There isn't any overlap in the focal range of the two lens. Looking at your list of lenses, you seemed to be covered on the mid and longer end but don't have anything really wide. The 11mm will give you a 16.5mm FOV while your widest current lens gives you a 27mm FOV. That's a lot of extra info you could be including if you shoot landscapes.

if you shoot landscape alot, get the tokina, its an excellent lens.

Really depends on what you shoot and what you have.

You already have a telephoto lens (just not the same quality). Do you find that one is lacking? Do you use it alot and wish you had something better?

On the flip side, how often do you wish you could go wider than 18mm?

What type of shooting do you do? Sports, action, wildlife, landscapes, portraits,...?

Both lenses are good choices, so it comes down to your use and needs

It really depends your priority and what you feel like missing from your setup. Both are good lens from what I read.

I think it all comes down to if you miss a lot of chances to take good photos because your telephoto lens was not fast enough, or your wide angle lens was not wide enough.

It really depends your priority and what you feel like missing from your setup. Both are good lens from what I read.

I think it all comes down to if you miss a lot of chances to take good photos because your telephoto lens was not fast enough, or your wide angle lens was not wide enough.

Personally if wanting the longer zooms. Would look at the Sigma's and Nikon.
Even if you can't afford the newer 70-200 f2.8. They can be had for $1300 or so used. Then there is always the outstanding older Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D. Tho no speed demon itself a tad slower then the Sigma and High end nikon.

But a classic pro lens I picked up used for $800 in primo mint shape and came with a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter. Which gives me a 280mm f4 when the need arises.

thanks for the info. well right now im mostly doing portraits and studio work and the occasional walk around town and shoot stuff interesting (but thats what my 50 is for). I was thinking about the 85 f/1.8 but notice that alot of people used 70-200's for portrait and studio work which is leaning me towards that more. As far as me wanting the tokina.. my next project involves shoots at the beach and sunrises and stuff like that where the tokina might be benificial. damn i wish i could afford both of them =(

and i was actually looking at the 80-200 f/2.8. so between that and the tamron which would be a better buy? a used 80-200 is just about the same price as the tamron.

eventually i know i will have both lenses its just a matter of what i should get first..

thanks for the info. well right now im mostly doing portraits and studio work and the occasional walk around town and shoot stuff interesting (but thats what my 50 is for). I was thinking about the 85 f/1.8 but notice that alot of people used 70-200's for portrait and studio work which is leaning me towards that more. As far as me wanting the tokina.. my next project involves shoots at the beach and sunrises and stuff like that where the tokina might be benificial. damn i wish i could afford both of them =(

and i was actually looking at the 80-200 f/2.8. so between that and the tamron which would be a better buy? a used 80-200 is just about the same price as the tamron.

eventually i know i will have both lenses its just a matter of what i should get first..

I wouldn't hesitate and go for the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D newer two-ring. Or even some can for around the $400-$500 mark get the older push-pull.

No VR but built like a tank.

My Gal "Bertha" by orb9220, on Flickr

My 80-200 f2.8 AF-D stream.

But is heavy and need practice to get the best use out of it. Could hold you over until you can afford the 70-200vr f2.8.

And yep the Tokina wide is also outstanding tho for a different purpose. Had the Sigma 10-20 myself. But the Tokina is above that.

Sounds like you have a temporary need for an ultra wide... Not something you would use Ina daily basis. My suggestion, buy the nikon 80-200 and then rent an ultra wide for the specific times you need it

I wouldn't hesitate and go for the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D newer two-ring. Or even some can for around the $400-$500 mark get the older push-pull.

No VR but built like a tank.

My Gal "Bertha" by orb9220, on Flickr

My 80-200 f2.8 AF-D stream.

But is heavy and need practice to get the best use out of it. Could hold you over until you can afford the 70-200vr f2.8.

And yep the Tokina wide is also outstanding tho for a different purpose. Had the Sigma 10-20 myself. But the Tokina is above that.

I'll 2nd this recommendation, the optics of the nikon are slightly better then the tamron, and the resale value is much higher.

A used 80-200mm f2.8 push-pull nikon sells for around $500 in mint condition, and it will be worth about the same amount a year from now.

Another benefit of the telephoto over the wide angle is that it's full frame, you won't need to replace it if you upgrade to a full-frame camera later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back