I'm Very New... Scanning Negatives...

kk03fttw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK I have a lot of questions in this thread. First of all, I just recently started photography and I heard about scanning negatives and I would like to know all about it. I have a few questions and sorry if I sound stupid for some of them I have hardly any knowledge of this...

1. What do I do to get the negatives out of the roll?
2. Will scanning save me money?
3. What kind of scanner should I get?

If you think there is anything else I need to know then please feel free to add about it. Thanks in advance for the help. :lol:

You would need to either have the negatives developed, or develop them yourself if you do b&w. Most labs can do a develop only for a couple bucks. That way you save on the printing costs, and could then only have the good ones printed. It might save you money, but it could take a bit of time. If you wanted to scan everything, then it will be a lot of scanning. It would be better for selectively scanning.

I now make it a practice when I shot film (35mm) that I get a picture CD along with negative processing and prints. Most 1-hour places charge about $3.50 to scan the roll - AT TIME OF PROCESSING.

Scanning individual negatives usually ups the price considerably.

Since your images are "archived" on the CD you can be selective as to what ones you keep in the computer for photoshopping.

Most reactions

Back