Importance of Multiple Cards?

a 2gb card is like 150 RAW shots. i'd fill that up in some burst shots lol.

Could be a little pray and spray, but when you are taking 4.5 pics per second for a burst, you can fill a card up pretty quickly. capital letters are totally obsolete anyways.

when i go out to shoot i usually spend 8-15 hours out. i may hit multiple zoos, aviaries, state parks, beaches... depends on where i am. 8 8gb cards is under 5000 shots. pretty easy to shoot 5000+ shots in a full day.
Frankly, that's OT. Spray and pray, defined.

15 hours is 900 minutes. At 5000 images in 15 hours (let alone 8) that's an average of 5.5 images per minute, an image every 10.8 seconds, no eating, going to the bathroom, changing subjects, going to different locations, swapping lenses, oggleing the girls, changing batteries, handing out a few business cards, answering onlookers questions, etc.

But then, I notice you don't take the time to use the shift key to make capitol letters when you type either. Interesting.

lol. you must be pretty insecure to attack someone for absolutely no reason at all. excuse me if i take several lengthy bursts on most of my trips. i must be a failure of a photographer and failure of graMMARzz! apparently. please accept my appology oh mighty internet/photo/grammar king. :er:

your post was one of the most useless things i've seen in a while
edit: next to this one :)

Take for instance shooting for 10 hours, a dance recital. Doesn't make sense to shoot raw with the 5dm2, thats like 21mb per image. I took around 3000 images in the time span of about 10 hours. There were no breaks, small bathroom breaks in between dances. Shoot raw? thats like you need to have (8) 8 GB cards. If I were to shoot for a whole day out doing landscapes, I would still need at least (4) 8gb cards. So all depending on the camera and file sizes, some people will only need 2gb cards, others 16gb cards. And the quantity is also relative.

21mb per image.

yikes. i'd be screwed.

yea its definitely a lot, and I just cant justify that space when I need to take thousands of pictures, I'd much rather pack 6-7 2gb cards and shoot jpeg at around 7-8mb per image.

But there are many instances when I would absolutely shoot raw, weddings, sweet 16's, baptisms, etc. Just not for sports when im looking to turn a profit. If i were shooting for some kinda magazine, (God I wish! lol), then yea, screw the space and shoot raw and eat those cards up:D

I just can't see needing to take that many pictures...

You must have like 10 or 20 copies of every picture (so close that it's almost identical).
Have you ever tried to be more selective and not take a picture of every single thing you see?

Not trying to be rude, sorry if it sounds that way... I just can't comprehend taking that many pictures... What percentage of those are keepers?

Wow. A lots been said since I last came here.

I suppose I can't argue with the whole "Murphy's Law" thing. As to capacity, I take it back...I did fill the card once, but only when I was shooting TIFFs. It didn't matter though because I didn't need to be shooting TIFFs and I had the chance to dump the card before I kept shooting but didnt.

My JPGS are around 6MB. TIFFs are about 35-40MB. I'm not sure how large my RAW files are. I can fit about 1,400 JPGS and 400 TIFFs onto my card. I don't know how itznfb uses all that space. 5000 shots in a day? Even at my most eager I only ever shot 3000.

You must have like 10 or 20 copies of every picture (so close that it's almost identical).
Have you ever tried to be more selective and not take a picture of every single thing you see?

Not trying to be rude, sorry if it sounds that way... I just can't comprehend taking that many pictures... What percentage of those are keepers?

Point is well taken, but its all depending on what your subject matter is. Now I took almost 3000 pictures, well there was over 300 individual kids in that dance recital, some only in 1 dance. So if you do the math that really only amounts to an average of 10 pictures per child. I really hoped to get more than that, as like i said in a previous post, some parents ordered every damn picture I took.

I would say that I prolly editted down maybe 8-10% of that. And btw, i didnt think you were rude;)

Now had I only been photographing 1 baseball game, sure I wouldn't have anywhere near that much

Now I took almost 3000 pictures, well there was over 300 individual kids in that dance recital, some only in 1 dance. So if you do the math that really only amounts to an average of 10 pictures per child. I really hoped to get more than that, as like i said in a previous post, some parents ordered every damn picture I took.

OK, it doesn't sound so bad in that situation.

I just assumed you were only taking pictures of your kid - not every kid in the dance.

And yeah - if they're buying them up, I guess more is better. ;)

did you just drop the "k" word on me?

lol no kids for me yet, maybe in a few years lol

LOL. Buy all the gear you can before that... And make sure it's good stuff so that it lasts for a loooong time. :lol:

Now I took almost 3000 pictures, well there was over 300 individual kids in that dance recital, some only in 1 dance. So if you do the math that really only amounts to an average of 10 pictures per child. I really hoped to get more than that, as like i said in a previous post, some parents ordered every damn picture I took.

OK, it doesn't sound so bad in that situation.

I just assumed you were only taking pictures of your kid - not every kid in the dance.

And yeah - if they're buying them up, I guess more is better. ;)

I'm happy with what I've made so far, but heres an interesting fact. Out of all those pictures I've sold about 7%. So now you throw that into the mix and you say its a waste. But hey, you never know which parent wanted a picture. Even after all those, I still had parents contact me that I missed their daughter.

well, i like going to the zoo. when i'm at the pgh zoo (10 minutes from my house) i'll end up with 15-20 80-90 shot bursts. do i need them? no of course not. but when i see animals making funny faces for rolling around or yawning i'll just hold the trigger down so i don't miss a great shot. i could time a great shot but might miss a better one 1/2 a second later.

i love this shot, and this was in the middle of a 60-70 shot set, only one frame out of that many where his tongue was out like this:
DSC_0998.jpg

if i just go to a state park or something. i'll probably come home with 500 shots because i'm framing every shot, generally using a tripod and just taking 1 or 2 of any given scene. the zoo is probably where i take the most shots. especially if i'm at a zoo i know i won't visit again for a year or two.

as far as % of keepers? from the zoo 4~5% :er:

i'll end up with 15-20 80-90 shot bursts.

Oh my god!

Have you looked into a good video camera? Seriously - it sounds like you would love one. With the right software, I'm sure you could extract high quality stills from it.

edit
And yeah - that's a pretty good shot. :)

well, i like going to the zoo. when i'm at the pgh zoo (10 minutes from my house) i'll end up with 15-20 80-90 shot bursts. do i need them? no of course not.

I did this when I started shooting the concerts they held here at my university. Then I had to go through them, pick out the good ones, and edit them. Now I try to be a little more conservative. But hey, everyone's got their style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back