Importance of Multiple Cards?

when i go out to shoot i usually spend 8-15 hours out. i may hit multiple zoos, aviaries, state parks, beaches... depends on where i am. 8 8gb cards is under 5000 shots. pretty easy to shoot 5000+ shots in a full day.
Frankly, that's OT. Spray and pray, defined.

15 hours is 900 minutes. At 5000 images in 15 hours (let alone 8) that's an average of 5.5 images per minute, an image every 10.8 seconds, no eating, going to the bathroom, changing subjects, going to different locations, swapping lenses, oggleing the girls, changing batteries, handing out a few business cards, answering onlookers questions, etc.

But then, I notice you don't take the time to use the shift key to make capitol letters when you type either. Interesting.

lol. you must be pretty insecure to attack someone for absolutely no reason at all. excuse me if i take several lengthy bursts on most of my trips. i must be a failure of a photographer and failure of graMMARzz! apparently. please accept my appology oh mighty internet/photo/grammar king. :er:

your post was one of the most useless things i've seen in a while
edit: next to this one :)
apology accepted.
:thumbup: your post was one of the most useless things i've seen in a while
edit: next to this one

Same with batteries, I keep a spare.

I've got tons of spare batteries. For some reason the battery indicator goes from full to 2 bars immediately. So I never have forewarning when my battery is getting lower.

As a side note, if anyone happens to know why it does this, please let me know. I shoot with a batter grip so maybe that has something to do with it.

are you using AAs in the grip or the EN-ELe or the EN-EL4?

I've got 16 AAs--two sets of four to use for the speedlight (one set for backup) and 8 for the grip. I've also got an extra EN-EL3e battery in a grip cartridge on standby.

D300 and D3 have known battery issues with symptoms similar to what you describe. just google "D300 dead battery syndrome"

might not be the same thing you're experiencing.

I've got 16 AAs--two sets of four to use for the speedlight (one set for backup) and 8 for the grip. I've also got an extra EN-EL3e battery in a grip cartridge on standby.

Are they rechargable? From what I understand - they're known to die suddenly...

Take for instance shooting for 10 hours, a dance recital.

That's actually what I do. I usually shoot at 6.9MP on my D300 and might even bump it down to 3.1. I get rought 1,000 shots on a 4GB card. I have 3x 4GB cards and a Lexar 2GB but it's only 33x speed and downloads incredibly slow so I stick to the 4GB's.

If I lost one card with 1,000 images, that could be $2,000 lost because of pictures I wouldn't have to sell to clients. That's why IIIIII use multiple cards...

~Michael~

Yes, the first of D300 had issues with dead batteries. I can't remember whether it was actually the battery or the charge indicator on the LCD. There was quite a bit of chatter on NikonCafe about it, which was one of the reasons I held off for a while...... okay, the price tag was another.

I have mine set to use the battery in the grip first, then got to the in camera. But I only use AAs in the grip and knock on wood, no battery problems for me. Also, my AAs are sets of 2500 & 2900mah NiMH.

Yes, the first of D300 had issues with dead batteries. I can't remember whether it was actually the battery or the charge indicator on the LCD. There was quite a bit of chatter on NikonCafe about it, which was one of the reasons I held off for a while...... okay, the price tag was another.

I have mine set to use the battery in the grip first, then got to the in camera. But I only use AAs in the grip and knock on wood, no battery problems for me. Also, my AAs are sets of 2500 & 2900mah NiMH.

Mine is set the same way, though I'm not sure what type of AAs I'm using. But yes, they are rechargable. I have a feeling that it might be a problem with the charge indicator on the LCD. I'll google it and see what I can find.

I know you didn't ask me - but I don't care, I'm answering anyway...lol.

I bought my 350D about 3 years ago. I just rolled over 7000.

WOW! I've had my D90 less than two months and i'm probably close to that!

I realized the other day that I had selected the wrong battery type in the camera menu for those AAs. That may have something to do with it. I haven't shot much since, so I don't know if it works correctly now or not.

Anyone have a favorite place to buy cards for a good price?

I know you didn't ask me - but I don't care, I'm answering anyway...lol.

I bought my 350D about 3 years ago. I just rolled over 7000.

WOW! I've had my D90 less than two months and i'm probably close to that!

I hear that. During a daytime storm chase, I can pop off 400 x 3 second exposures in 20 minutes while a storm is rolling in on me. Within 5 moves, thats 2000 shots.

At that rate, it is not unusual to shoot quite a few thousand shots on a single active afternoon. And the real kicker is I might get one or two serious keepers out of that.

qft...

always be on the lookout for newegg's mistakes. they seem to constantly mistakenly drop the prices on their sandisk cards. i picked up 10 8GB Extreme III's the other day at at 39.99 a piece. about 10 minutes after i got my shipment notice the price went back up

Most reactions

Back