Importance of Multiple Cards?

i do find myself doing this less and less but it is extremely useful at times. i actually enjoy going through them all in post and trying to find the best one. part of the reason why i take so many.

i guess the number of shots i take might be a little much, but as i said, i don't get to go out that often and those shots usually keep me busy after work until i get to go out again. and it's not like a fire off a ton of shots everytime. it's generally under the circumstances i described. though i'll still probably take 100 shots or so at each exhibit.

another reason i love the zoo. most exhibits offer multiple different lighting scenarios and various angles to shoot from. it gives me a lot of practice.

i'll end up with 15-20 80-90 shot bursts.
i love this shot, and this was in the middle of a 60-70 shot set, only one frame out of that many where his tongue was out like this:
I don't want to call out BS, but I do want to call it foolish.

The D90 does clear the buffer fast, but once it's full, you go from 4.5 fps to 1 fps until you release the shutter button (up to 100). Nikons shut down at 100 to keep heat build-up down.

So in essence, you are unnecessarily putting stress on your camera and very likely will have a shortened life.

Shoot on bro.

i'll end up with 15-20 80-90 shot bursts.
i love this shot, and this was in the middle of a 60-70 shot set, only one frame out of that many where his tongue was out like this:
I don't want to call out BS, but I do want to call it foolish.

The D90 does clear the buffer fast, but once it's full, you go from 4.5 fps to 1 fps until you release the shutter button (up to 100). Nikons shut down at 100 to keep heat build-up down.

So in essence, you are unnecessarily putting stress on your camera and very likely will have a shortened life.

Shoot on bro.

hardly. with an extreme III it never slows down unless the shot involves a significantly diverse scene. however with the Transcend class 6 cards i only get about 15 shots before it slows down no matter what is in the scene. and it only slows down for a few shots then goes right back to 4.5. so the extreme III probably doesn't keep up with the buffer but it probably catches up in a short enough time span that i don't notice.

as far as wear and tear on the body.... who cares. i don't rely on it for income. it's a toy. if it breaks i'll buy another. if one day i do this for money i'll probably look at things from another (or additional) perspective.

as far as wear and tear on the body.... who cares. i don't rely on it for income. it's a toy. if it breaks i'll buy another. if one day i do this for money i'll probably look at things from another (or additional) perspective.

Now, I'm not a working pro - but...

I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how most people think about it.

If you were doing this professionally, you would have insurance on your gear, so you wouldn't worry about breaking it - if you did, the insurance will pay for it. As a hobbyist, most don't have insurance on their gear, so if it breaks it's all out of pocket.

If you're loaded and don't mind buying new camera bodies every year or two - why not. The rest of us have to be more careful though.

Now, I'm not a working pro - but...

I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of how most people think about it.

If you were doing this professionally, you would have insurance on your gear, so you wouldn't worry about breaking it - if you did, the insurance will pay for it. As a hobbyist, most don't have insurance on their gear, so if it breaks it's all out of pocket.

If you're loaded and don't mind buying new camera bodies every year or two - why not. The rest of us have to be more careful though.

you may have a good point. but does insurance cover equipment failure due to usage?

i realize not everyone is just going to go out and carelessly spend money on their hobby. but we're dual income with no kids (hopefuly it stays that way) and we spend money on our hobbies. so it's generally not a concern. i just figured there would be more people that would come home with several thousand shots after a day.

KmH you can now officially say this thread is off topic :confused:

hardly. with an extreme III it never slows down unless the shot involves a significantly diverse scene.
The review I was referring to was by Thom Hogan. He was using the Extreme III card and shooting NEF files.

as far as wear and tear on the body.... who cares. .
Figures. :er:

Shoot on bro.

as far as wear and tear on the body.... who cares. .
Figures. :er:

Shoot on bro.

oh c'mon. i purchased a decent dslr to take lots of pictures and get all the fucntionality i could out of it. that's what i'm doing. you make it sound like i'm just throwing it in a pond to see what happens.

EDIT:
my point is.... by using the fast cards i have and not having to worry about space, and firing off as many shots as i can in certain scenarios i end up with some great shots that i'm really happy with that i wouldn't have otherwise...

I know you didn't ask me - but I don't care, I'm answering anyway...lol.

I bought my 350D about 3 years ago. I just rolled over 7000.

I have to know... how many shots on the clicker of your D90?

lol... not as many as you would think. i don't think i've hit 50,000 yet.
i'm over 100,000 on my D50. i'm surprised it hasn't died yet. though i never machine gunned the D50. just years of use.

I know you didn't ask me - but I don't care, I'm answering anyway...lol.

I bought my 350D about 3 years ago. I just rolled over 7000.

I have to know... how many shots on the clicker of your D90?

lol... not as many as you would think. i don't think i've hit 50,000 yet.
i'm over 100,000 on my D50. i'm surprised it hasn't died yet. though i never machine gunned the D50. just years of use.

:meh: 7000? 3yrs? okay. maybe you guys are right. maybe i'm just nuts.:confused:

Good to know, keep gunning it - I want reassurance on how long mine will last with casual use lol.

Then again it's always the car you beat on that won't die...

When i'm shooting automotive events, I usually shoot around 500 shots, give or take a few.. I have had cards mess up, or fill up, so I always pack a spare or two.

on topic for the off topic = machine gunning the zoo is definitely overkill, IMO. Personally, I prefer to take my time and enjoy taking photos and mashing the "trigger" isn't my idea of enjoyment. ..but *shrug* to each his own.. do what you love, i'm not one to judge

Sorry for the off topic. :blushing:

I carry 3x 4GB Extreme IV cards and 2x 2GB Extreme III cards. I have had ocassions where I filled 4+ of them over weekend shoots using two bodies. Only one was gripped, but my burst, uhmm, short burst rates are 6.5 & 8 fps. I shoot RAW almost 100%, there are a few ocassions I guess...... Eventually, one will fail and I'd rather have a spare. Same with batteries, I keep a spare.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back