totalmajor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.subarunited.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

Lately I've been really interested in purchasing (or trading from here) an SLR camera.

After looking at some fantastic deals on bwayphoto, my friend told me to be weary at some of them, because they come in some chinese version that requires a chip to change..

Or some sort of story like that..

Is this true?

Grey Market or Imported have no "warranty" per se. They are imported from other markets, and thus have the warranty of those markets. You can't get a camera with a Japanese warranty fixed here for free.

I have never heard of a chip change or something similar.

This is about lenses, but it applies to cameras too.

Nothing wrong with 'Grey Market' items from a reputable vendor. However, I would beware of places with 'fantastic deals' because it's not the quality of gear that you have to watch out for.

Typically they will try to get you on the phone, then try to sell you on a bunch of over priced accessories. Then you will likely find out that your camera is back ordered and won't be in for a while. By the time you get fed up enough to call them, they get you again with the hard sell on the phone.

I'd check www.resellerratings.com

Do yourself a favor and buy from B&H or Adorama (links above) or a local store.

Really!?
Bwayphoto is a bad website!?!

I see their ads in magazines ALL THE TIME, especially PCWORLD..

Well at least that solves some of my problems.. lol

thanks alot!

Yeah I know, I was pretty shocked as well when I read that website. But the echo around the net is no different.

Glad to help!

Nothing wrong with 'Grey Market' items from a reputable vendor. However, I would beware of places with 'fantastic deals' because it's not the quality of gear that you have to watch out for.

Typically they will try to get you on the phone, then try to sell you on a bunch of over priced accessories. Then you will likely find out that your camera is back ordered and won't be in for a while. By the time you get fed up enough to call them, they get you again with the hard sell on the phone.

I'd check www.resellerratings.com

Do yourself a favor and buy from B&H or Adorama (links above) or a local store.

Yup on all points. B&H also gives a pretty good explanation of the significance of gray market. Don't lose sight of the fact that the warranty always comes from the importer (unless you want to ship the item back to Japan for repair).

Also keep in mind that B&H gives a 1 year warranty with their gray market stuff through their own warranty department. Aftermarket warranties from companies like Mack also cover Gray Market.

I would ONLY buy a camera from a place where I could get a warranty, I have sent in 3 bodies over the last year for warranty service, and that would have been EXPENSIVE if I had to pay for it myself.

When I was looking to purchase a camera I called and spoke to the manufacturer in regards to grey market cameras.They said these cameras are made to be sold in other countries at lower taxes and that import taxes and other fees were not charged.They also statad that if you purchased a grey market camera they would not make any repairs even if you paid for them yourself.

Marshall
Nikon D300

When I was looking to purchase a camera I called and spoke to the manufacturer in regards to grey market cameras.They said these cameras are made to be sold in other countries at lower taxes and that import taxes and other fees were not charged.They also statad that if you purchased a grey market camera they would not make any repairs even if you paid for them yourself.

Marshall
Nikon D300

They lied to you.

I spoke directly with a Nikon rep and those were his exact words.If I purchase a GREY MARKET Nikon Camera and it broke they would not repair it even if I paid.

Marshall
Nikon D300
EXIT 7

Most reactions

New Topics

Back