What's new

Impressionistic Branches and Trunks

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took the 100-400 out for a drive and tried it out with some slow shutter speeds. I found that it is very different from my 18-200 and I'm going to have fun learning where it's sweet spots are but I'm already getting way less muddy colours :)

Here are the first two I chose to process, the rest is going to have to wait till tomorrow.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks for taking a look!







 
Very nice ... I like the movement!
 
Thanks Mully :)
 
I like the first one a bit more than the second shot. The first seems to be something like birch trees mixed with some kind of hardwood (ash?)...the contrast of the different tree species--it's just on the cusp of being recognizable/unrecognizable...and I think that is the strength of the shot...

The second shot has a nifty feel to it as far as the motion, but the conifer in there seems to be throwing a monkey wrench into the shot. I really like the way you're experimenting with these blurred shots. I like the impressionistic/expressionistic/painterly vibe that is created by using a modern, high-rez camera as a low-rez tool to create photos that do not instantly reveal everything in minute detail. a little mystery, a little ambiguity, the possibility that we must use our own imagination to unlock the photos--that's a GOOD THING, as Martha says...

I think the reason I like the first shot is that it has mostly vertical lines on the tree trunks, and a fairly simple, "steady" color scheme, so its harmonious and unified for the most part. The second shot has different types of trees, and more color, and its chaotic, and discordant, and because of that it does not feel unified to me. It's not a success. The first shot has the basics needed to feel complete. Different processing, or EXTREME processing, might make it very,very impressive. I think the second one will never become a silk purse...

SO GLAD you've got a fine new lens to work with!
 
Thanks Derrel, great food for thought over coffee this morning :)
 
After pondering Derrel's comments and taking some more time with these two images I think I rushed to post and I should have taken my time more with them. Unfortunately I'm now caught in "can't see the same image again for the first time" territory lol

I think the trunks one has many faces... here is another.
The branches I love the chaos but I agree that the green is in the need more or less category, this is what I came up with.







 
I like the new edits.

Number 2 the second makes me feel like I'm falling out of a tree. I hope that's not how you took it!
 
The first vertical trees was much better ...the soft grey tones make the shot...... don't "fix" it, it is fine as is. IMHO
 
Yep, vertical tress are better. The second doesn't work for me because it's not abstract enough. I know that they're tree trunks. Fun stuff!! Keep posting them up!
 
Thanks for your thoughts everyone :)
 
I agree, the vertical is much more pleasing to look at as well as the softer edit. It's my pick of the bunch.

The second image has too much random movement IMO. I much prefer the calm the first image conveys.
 
Thanks Krisz :)
 
The horizontal edit of pic 1 came into my head today while I was driving and looking at fields along the road. I thought "Wait, maybe that picture was of fields with melting snow. No, trees. No fields." I headed back to the thread tonight to check.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom