In a bit of a situation... rights, usage, and 4 parties involved.

I think that may be the case, and really, I can understand that. I know he has worked hard to get the job. I also know another photographer was recently approached about taking over the position. While I have no desire to replace him (I am both not set up for sports photography, nor am I willing to give up so much time) I would be interested in remain a fill in for when the main photographer cannot make it.

I was planning on contacting the opposing team directly, thanking them for their understanding and for promptly removing the images. I was also going to say that I would be happy to provide credit information should they wish to use them in the future. If they contact me for more work, great, but the more I think of it, I dont want to come across as stepping on our main guys toes. I know how hard we all work to get our clients, I am not going to go there. As much as the extra $$ would be nice, this sint what I want to do, and although I had fun I would prefer to remain the go to backup when the need arises.

Agreement is that I retain the copyright, the home team have usage rights for the images to be used online. I may sell them images to the team for other uses, ie: posters etc, and I am free to sell the images through my site to the players staff themselves. Essentially I just did exactly what the other photographer did - exact same agreement. For 2 games I had no intention of changing anything. It was a fun shoot, and I was doing everyone a favor by filling in last minute.

Is this a verbal or an actual written agreement? If it's written, who signed it besides you? An authorized representative from the team, or the other photographer? If the team signed it, you should be dealing directly with them.

It seems to me, if you just "let it slide", you'll probably risk not being taken seriously from that point on also.

Then you can be one of those photographers who has all the time in the world to post all day on TPF! :lmao:

It sounds like the main photographer doesn't want to lose his gig... and wants to cover his trail, which is pretty sad but the world is full of sharks.

I was thinking the relationship between you and him would have been somewhat different, but it looks like I was wrong.

Well, I sent off a quick email to the opposing team, saying sorry for the confusion with the images ( apparently they have a dual usage agreement with another team) and that in the future they can direct any questions to the marketing director for the team I was shooting for - he will have all answers as to what images are available for use, who the photographer was, and contact information. I also expressed that I appreciated them dealing with the matter right away, and that hopefully everyone was now on the same page as far as the limitations of the agreements.

I just wanted them to know I am a team player, and that I was not in the background getting pissed about the situation.

Its just too bad they couldn't have given me credit for the shots and left it at that.

Well I gave this some thought and came up with a small scenario but very possible.

Since this gig was to cover a sports team in action, I think it's safe to wonder why the main photographer would pick someone who's not into sports and without appropriate photo gear.
I think the answer is quite clear, he just needed someone to fill in, and obviously he did not want competition. As your shots turned out better than his and replaced his work, he started to feel unconfortable as you present a certain ammount of threat.

To defend his gig, he probably asked to have the shots removed and gave some bull excuse since this is the only scenario which stands up.

Just a thought...

Most reactions

Back