In Flight Hummingbird Up Close

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought this to be a pretty decent shot
HummingbirdforwebMedium.jpg

And I would have to agree with you! Well captured. Such detail in the feathers, and the colours - wow. Love the iridescence too.

How close were you able to get?

And I would have to agree with you! Well captured. Such detail in the feathers, and the colours - wow. Love the iridescence too.

How close were you able to get?
I was about 10 feet away with my 400 f/2.8 on a tripod.

The truth is I set up out on the patio deck. 40D on a Wimberly head with the EF 400 I train it in on a hummingbird feeder, Set it to the center focus point. Set it to Tv adjust the shutter speed to get the best DOF @ a high enough Tv. I use a remote shutter release. I sit back in a chair with a cold one and a book and wait:mrgreen:. When a bird comes to the feeder I just lean into the veiwfinder slowly and man the shutter release. I get about 1 out of 15 good shots this way.

You just need to have the patience and time available

That is a great shot Uplander :thumbup:

I've been using a similar set up and am quite tired of seeing the big Red Feeder in the frame :mrgreen:

Catching them coming and going and in focus is harder than a video game, he, he.. and cropping isn't always an option.

I've also found that there are two camps on the matter of wing motion, those that prefer blur and those that prefer stop motion.

Stopping the motion takes at least 1/1000 but 1/2000 is better, depends on the light. In an ideal world a staged flash set up is best.

I took the liberty of running your photo through Noiseware.

HummingbirdforwebMedium_filtered.jpg

Cheers, Don

Great colours. Was the original photo noisy or is it resizing/compression artifacts?

Great shot uplander!!

Did you have a 1.4x TC on for the shot??

Cheers

nice..that's a great shot..

Beautiful. Tho there seems to be some white something near his beak and tail? Dunno what that is, but great capture.

Beautiful. Tho there seems to be some white something near his beak and tail? Dunno what that is, but great capture.
It flew through a spiderweb in a nearby tree and it is on its beak and trailing from its tail. here is another shot of the same bird and you can see it there also

hummingbirds08031copyCustomjuza.jpg

It flew through a spiderweb in a nearby tree and it is on its beak and trailing from its tail. here is another shot of the same bird and you can see it there also

Good enough, and actually an interesting story :)

Here is a heavy crop to show the web or fuzz on its beak.

hummingbirds08031heavycropcopy.jpg

Most reactions

Back