In need of help deciding...

Which photo is the strongest?

Votes: 16 50.0%

Votes: 5 15.6%

Votes: 6 18.8%

Votes: 3 9.4%

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Any specific category, or is it just a free-for-all?

It's just open, no category, no subject matter. So that's why I tried to present a variety.

Any idea who is going to be doing the judging of photos? Because I'd probably vote one way if I knew a bunch of male executives in suits were making the decisions, versus say a bunch of women with kids. Or professional photographers.

I like them all, but I definitely have my favorites--but like Pallycow, what *I* like, I'm not sure translates to what's likely to win a contest.

I'm not sure who's going to be judging them. They're being sent to corporate, I'd reckon. Grand prize is $25,000... I believe it to be people in the photographic field.

Wanted to wish you luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Grand prize is $25,000...

Hmm... I think that changes things, just a little - lol!

No offense man, but for $25k, I think you need to step up your game. :lol:
Not that these are bad or anything, but for that kind of prize you're going to have a lot of competition.

I voted for #1 and #3. #1 cute as can be and makes me smile cheek to cheek. #3 I keep thinking of what the groom is thinking or feeling with his held down like that. Good vibes with that one.

Any idea who is going to be doing the judging of photos? Because I'd probably vote one way if I knew a bunch of male executives in suits were making the decisions, versus say a bunch of women with kids. Or professional photographers.

I like them all, but I definitely have my favorites--but like Pallycow, what *I* like, I'm not sure translates to what's likely to win a contest.

I'm not sure who's going to be judging them. They're being sent to corporate, I'd reckon. Grand prize is $25,000... I believe it to be people in the photographic field.

Okay, then I'm going with my first love, #1. #5 was a close second though and I think it would be a strong contender as well.

I chose two: 2 & 3. Not only are they finished in a contemporary processing style but more importantly they are the only two images that give thought. In image 2 I can hear the gasp of the crowd as the bride is first seen. In image 3 there seems to be personal reflection between the two during a candid moment when the camera is not supposed to be on them. As opposed to image 1 in which it's simply a happy child on a tractor (not that there's anything wrong with it) but there is nothing more that makes me wonder what is going on in the picture. I fear that if you select image 1, it will be too cliche.

All of them are good. Personally, I love #5, with #2 a close second. But if this was a race, they'd all be within tenths-of-a-second behind each other. As to why - #5 has a number of diagonals (grass, footprints, sand sections), a contrast of sharp texture in the foreground and blurry grey in the back (grey of the past vs. sharpness and immediacy of the present), and a placement of the boy in the frame that allows us to explore the image.

#2 appeals to me because it seems it have caught a perfect moment - the bride surrounded by her parents, walking towards the brightness (bright future?), while the multitude awaits her approach, and her groom is waiting, out of focus, but present as she comes near.

#1 is a really cute shot, but the OOF nose of the tractor bugs me a bit, along with the dark area at the top right of the frame.

#3 has nice focus and lighting, but I am wishing he was looking up at us.

#4 is a beautiful scene, but it's a little dark for my taste.

#3 I keep thinking of what the groom is thinking or feeling with his held down like that. Good vibes with that one.

I was dissecting the brides expression. So much to love about that image.

I like numbers 1 the most then number 3.

O|||||||O said:

Not that these are bad or anything, but for that kind of prize you're going to have a lot of competition.

Well, thankfully all the people that I work with in my branch don't appear to be too skilled behind a camera (with a few exceptions of course).

Also, I'm quite overwhelmed with the personal analysis and thoughts on my photos. It's very interesting to hear in depth reactions as you fine folks are providing. It really means a lot to me, and I thank all of you.

I voted 1&3,but I like 1 over 3.I think I like those because you see expression.

O|||||||O said:

Well, thankfully all the people that I work with in my branch don't appear to be too skilled behind a camera (with a few exceptions of course).

Also, I'm quite overwhelmed with the personal analysis and thoughts on my photos. It's very interesting to hear in depth reactions as you fine folks are providing. It really means a lot to me, and I thank all of you.

(I voted for #1)

I'm just sayin' ... the contests we have at my work, you win like $100 ... I know that for a 25k prize, I'd be a lot pickier, lol. (As far as what I would submit, and judging the photos.)

And I agree that it depends a LOT on who the judges are.

(Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that they were bad. I didn't mean that.)

Last edited:
I'm inclined to say none of them. Not that they're not good images; they're very good images, BUT... they're people. People the judges aren't likely to know, and thus unlikely to connect to. #1 is a contender because it's a cute kid shot and cute kids are always an attention grabber, but being a monochrome, I'm not sure it will have the visual impact to grab the judge's attention in the few seconds they're likely to give on a first round cull of entries. #5 in my opinion is the one with the greatest chance of making it (I second the suggestion of a crop) because it's in colour (greater visual impact) and there's more to it than just the person - that is, there's more to interest John. Q. Public. A good litmus test for this sort of thing is: "If you gave a print to someone you don't know, and who has no connection with the image, would they be likely to hang it on their wall?"

I'm inclined to say none of them. Not that they're not good images; they're very good images, BUT... they're people. People the judges aren't likely to know, and thus unlikely to connect to. #1 is a contender because it's a cute kid shot and cute kids are always an attention grabber, but being a monochrome, I'm not sure it will have the visual impact to grab the judge's attention in the few seconds they're likely to give on a first round cull of entries. #5 in my opinion is the one with the greatest chance of making it (I second the suggestion of a crop) because it's in colour (greater visual impact) and there's more to it than just the person - that is, there's more to interest John. Q. Public. A good litmus test for this sort of thing is: "If you gave a print to someone you don't know, and who has no connection with the image, would they be likely to hang it on their wall?"

Thanks for your thoughts John. The reason I chose photos of people, is because the company I work for during the week is a company that specializes in photographing people. So I chose to make a decision between photos of people. I completely understand where you're coming from, and perhaps maybe I should have included an abstract or landscape in the poll. Thank you once again!

Most reactions

Back