In the long run

grooski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well i have most of the equipment ill need. And i've been thinking. When i get out of high school (which will be in like 6 years) i was thinking if i wanted to go work for the newspaper. From thinking of that i thought to myself. Wouldn't i need to get higher quality equipment. Which is quite obveous but i was thinking of which camera to get. Im asking if it would be a good idea to get it or to get another one. I was going to get a Nikon F100 (that is if the tecnology doesn't change that much). Would that be a good idea or should i get a Leica?

Scenario: You are thinking about buying a "top quality camera" so that it will be in use once you get out of high school after 6 years :

I admire your passion and enthusiasm in photography but I would recommend you to master the art with the equipment you have right now. Take tons of pics. Photography is not everything about top-of-the-line equipment. You might want to consider enrolling for a professional photography course like they have at NYIP.

What kind of camera do you use right now?

The "higher quality" cameras right now might be old news 6 years down the lane. So, dont you worry about th equipment right now :)

Most journalists have moved to digital. I recommend building up your lenses so when you do spring for the pro equipment you can get the latest when you do get into that field down the road.

If you are going to make an investment...invest in lenses. Camera bodies come and go but you are more likely to keep your lenses.

danalec99 said:
What kind of camera do you use right now?

Well right now i dont have the greatest equipment in the world but i have a Nikon N75, two really cheap lenses, 28-80 and 70-300. But hey atleast i works. I dont have a lot of money so i can't afford the nice things.

grooski said:
quote="danalec99"]What kind of camera do you use right now?

Well right now i dont have the greatest equipment in the world but i have a Nikon N75, two really cheap lenses, 28-80 and 70-300. But hey atleast it works. I dont have a lot of money so i can't afford the nice things.

One of my friends has got a N75. Its a cool camera and I don't see why you look down on the equipment!

Like I said before, its the photographer that matters; NOT the equipment. Even though I own a 10D, by looking at your pictures I think you are a better photographer :).

What sort of pictures do you normally shoot? Have you read any books on photography? Do you want to be a photojournalist?

Well most of the time i just shoot things that look intresting to me. Lately i've been taking pictures of the moon right after sunset. The moon looks red and it has really nice composition with the trees in the background. Also latly i've been connecting my mom's old olympis om-2 (we have the om-1 and the om-2)up to it and it's actually work quite well! Um...well i've actually mostly learned about photography on my own. It's funny, i saw this infomecial for a camera. It's funny because i got intreseted because the equipment looked cool. I was a video game addicted so my dad wanted me to stop. Well i wanted a camera so bad i sold all my video games, just like that. And i did some a lot of reshearch and two months later i bought my first camera. I shouldn't gotten the N80 though. I took this class after i new a lot of things. So i didn't learn much but it hepled with the small things. Well i dont really want to be a photojournalist but i think i wanna open a portrait shop or be a freelancephotographer.

Read a lot, observe other works... you seem to be serious
Good luck :thumbsup:

Most reactions

Back