In the market for an L

Emilymarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was relly set on getting the 24-70L but read it does not have image stabilizer, should this be an issue in portrait photography?

No, that lens doesn't have IS. (all lenses with IS, have 'IS' in the name).

For portraiture, IS isn't really necessary. It only helps for camera shake, not moving subjects (people)...so you'll need a faster shutter speed, with or without IS.
Be prepared though, this lens is nicknamed 'The Brick'...it's big and rather heavy.

I don't have that lens but have been drooling over it for a while. I agree that the lack of IS is not an issue, especially at that length- not to mention you have a 2.8 max aperture.

Emilymarie said:
So I was relly set on getting the 24-70L but read it does not have image stabilizer, should this be an issue in portrait photography?

A buddy of mine has this lens and it is huge. It's like 2 pounds I believe. Maybe a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Will you be doing your portraiture indoors with good lights? If so, IS means zero. Alot of it depends on what you'll be shooting and where, and what lighting etc. I owned the 24-70 for a long time, the quality is good but for portraiture in the studio I usually use primes, which of course can't be matched by almost any zoom. The main thing L's give you, in my opinion, isn't so much image quality as AF performance.

My favorite shots were taken with the 50/1.8, which is about $90.

I actually borrowed this lens from a web site and it's wasn't noticeably heavy. Thx for the input. I think I'll still be getting it:)

No, that lens doesn't have IS. (all lenses with IS, have 'IS' in the name).

For portraiture, IS isn't really necessary. It only helps for camera shake, not moving subjects (people)...so you'll need a faster shutter speed, with or without IS.
Be prepared though, this lens is nicknamed 'The Brick'...it's big and rather heavy.

+1 for what Mike said. I owned the lens... it's chunky if you will. Super sharp... a really nice zoom. I liked being about to shoot @ F/2.8 when I needed it... but.. for my style of shooting... I found myself at the long end of the focal range... didn't use it much and I sold it.

Still... a very nice lens to invest in.
Hatch

shouldn't you also take a look at the 70-200 for portraits?

No, because that isn't what IS/VR/OS, or any other image stabilization system is for.

Nikon VR explained and it applies to Canon IS and other stabilizing systems too.

shouldn't you also take a look at the 70-200 for portraits?

I was thinking the same thing; but, for portraits with 2 or 3 or more people, 70 starts getting a bit long, and the OP didn't say anything about where they're shooting, whether they're using lights (and in fact ignored me when I asked), what they are shooting, or anything - so it's really hard to answer the question when they don't even give you any info to go on.

I never thought the 24-70 was heavy, and I shot sports with it about 2 years. I use a 70-200L/IS now and it's getting there on the weight, especially with a 1ds2.

The other thing to mention here, is that with the 24-70L IS also isn't as important because it's a fairly wide lense, hence the 1/X rule dictates it doesn't need IS in general.

A quick google will show, the 24-70l is lighter than the 70-200, even the non-IS version.

Ok we are both correct depending on which 70-200mm you are talking bout
according Adorama
24-70mmL f/2.8 IS USM
2.1 lbs.
70-200mmL f/4 IS USM
1.6 lbs.
70-200mmL f/2.8 IS USM
3.2 lbs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back