Indoor gymnastics!! Rrrrrrr!!!

When you use a FAST lens like a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8, you cannot zoom, cuz the lenses are not zoom lenses. You give up the ability to zoom, for the FAST low light capability of the lens. It is a trade-off. There is no free lunch.

Shooting indoors low light can be a challenge even for experienced photographers.

Before you use Manual exposure mode, you need to understand exposure, and how and why to adjust. Otherwise you are setting the Manual settings blind.

If I'm shooting low light like this I'll spot meter to set up a decent exposure if the lighting is consistant.

Sometimes though there's just not enough light and consumer lenses just won't cut it. Occasionally it can be so dimly lit that even an f2.8 is not much use.

If there is one thing I have learned —- just keep changing and shooting.

I’ll need more things to try tomorrow for sure. This setting is in a resort ball room for the meet. This should be interesting just based on that alone! Lol
When you enter a new venue for the first time, you need to evaluate the conditions, particularly the light and available shooting positions. This is why they say "keep trying different modes". The trick, then, is to remember what modes work with what conditions.

hi !in my opinion what it need is shoot in spot metering and avoid the subject in front if the window backlighting, plus if the shot is in action(sports) , mean need fast shutter speed .

So for the learning curve I am on in the “pro settings”, I think they are not terrible! Lighting —— was awful, bunch of refract off the lights as you have to look up at the gymnast but there are some I love! Thank you so much for all your guidance, please feel free to add some more!!!! My son is the lil dude with his “man bun” lol
IMG_7205.JPG
IMG_7192.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7170.JPG
IMG_7200.JPG
IMG_7206.JPG
IMG_7187.JPG
IMG_7180.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG
IMG_7183.JPG
IMG_7197.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol! Let me know whatcha think [emoji51]

You did well.

Now record the light conditions and camera settings, so the next time you run into a similar situation, you have your past experience to work from, rather than going from scratch.

You did okay at this meet. You got better exposures, and captured some nice moments. Keep working on your photography game, and you will get better and better!

Thank you for all your positive comments! I really love to shoot! I’d like to be a whole lot better at it! And like most alpha people I don’t like to be unsuccessful! Lol but I do know when I push in on the photos = details are lost [emoji15] but on a phone or a smaller glance .... I love them! Lol there I would say I have about 75 good shot composition and semi decent clarity. But they are far from awesome! Lol some of it I am sure is I love all these boys to death!!! And every time each and every one of them is on the equipment I am so excited!!! I’m sure my nerves don’t add to stability and in that setting a tripod is impossible! Thanks again! I love all the tips you all are giving! This moon is great tonight—— I wish I had half a clue how to photo that! [emoji2]

Moon is in full daylight.
  • Manual
  • ISO = 200
  • Shutter speed = 1/1000
  • Aperture = f/8
Then adjust from there to get more or less exposure of the moon's surface.

Last edited:
  • Manual
  • ISO = 400
  • Shutter speed = 1/1000
  • Aperture = f/8

This is a nighttime setting on tripod? Cause if it is I might just jump outside! [emoji3]

• Manual
  • ISO = 200
  • Shutter speed = 1/1000
  • Aperture = f/8

This is a nighttime setting on tripod? Cause if it is I might just jump outside! [emoji3]

YES, night time on a tripod, preferably with the longest lens you have.
Correct the ISO down to 200

Most reactions

New Topics

Back