Indoor gymnastics!! Rrrrrrr!!!

Moon is in full daylight.
  • Manual
  • ISO = 200
  • Shutter speed = 1/1000
  • Aperture = f/8
Then adjust from there to get more or less exposure of the moon's surface.

This is a nighttime setting on tripod? Cause if it is I might just jump outside! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES, night time on a tripod, preferably with the longest lens you have.
Correct the ISO down to 200

K!!! I’m gonna give it a try!

Lol, ok— so I can laugh, cause it looks “noisy” but that was tons of fun! Feel free to let me know how I could have made changes... I totally forgot the whole take in the RAW thing. Maybe that might have made a difference! The first one I tried to show you the settings outside... the second settings I was inside so disregard the meter but those were my settings .

Either way that was a fun experiment! In AZ is still 65 out so it was beautiful out there!
DSC_0493.JPG
IMG_3930.JPG
IMG_3930.JPG

You gotta try, to learn.
Now you know how to do it again.

I'll trade you my 44F for your 65F.
Shooting soccer when it is 44F is tough for me. Old muscles and cold, do not work well together.

Well I tell ya I’m falling to pieces to!!! My kids are like ‘cmon mom!!!! Lol should have had kids in my 20’s instead of 30’s! Lol they are 7 and 9. They LOVED MY MOON photo! I am so excited about that! Lol you guys have to give me setting and send me out on assignment lol that worked well! Here is one I edited a quick bit
IMG_7228.JPG

I’m sure my nerves don’t add to stability and in that setting a tripod is impossible!
Here's something else to buy: A monopod. Many sports photographers use a monopod to steady the camera.

When we shoot indoors we shoot through a few feet of atmosphere.
When we shoot the moon we shoot through a 100 miles column of turbulent and moving atmosphere.
That makes it hard to get nice sharp focus of the moon.

So what many do is shoot video of the moon, at 25 to 60 frames per second for up to a few minutes.
They then look at each of the still frames that make the video looking for the lucky more sharply focused frames they got when the atmosphere was less turbulent. That's called Lucky Imaging.

They then combine (stack) the best of those lucky frames (usually several hundred frames) into a single image using software designed for such.
High Resolution Lunar Images with a DSLR

The moon is something that confuses a LOT of novices.
I was in a photo class and some of the students asked me how many seconds my exposure of the moon was.
They were totally confused when I told them 1/1000 of a second. A small fraction of a second, not many seconds as they had assumed.
"But it's DARK."
Well the sky is DARK, but the moon itself is in broad daylight and BRIGHT.

And unless you have a LONG lens, with a spot meter in your camera, you cannot meter the moon. You would be metering too much of the DARK sky, and biasing the reading.
This is why I used the sunny 16 rule. But that should be the looney 11 rule, for the moon. Then adjust +/- as I want to.

Well I tell ya I’m falling to pieces to!!! My kids are like ‘cmon mom!!!! Lol should have had kids in my 20’s instead of 30’s! Lol they are 7 and 9. They LOVED MY MOON photo! I am so excited about that! Lol you guys have to give me setting and send me out on assignment lol that worked well! Here is one I edited a quick bitView attachment 153006

Change the composition so the moon is not dead center.
The old rule of 3rds. Divide the H and V into 3rds, and put the subject (the moon) on one of the intersections.
moon rule of 3rds.jpg

I was gonna head out again tonight but I don’t think I am gonna make it. I tell ya it was so bright before dusk! And the Arizona sun still out.. would have made a amazing photo chance... as I waited for gymnastics to be over....lol if I would have had my camera. Took the dang thing out to do the moon last night!!! Hahahah I was so jazzed up to do it, it was a bummer!

I was gonna head out again tonight but I don’t think I am gonna make it. I tell ya it was so bright before dusk! And the Arizona sun still out.. would have made a amazing photo chance... as I waited for gymnastics to be over....lol if I would have had my camera. Took the dang thing out to do the moon last night!!! Hahahah I was so jazzed up to do it, it was a bummer!

There is tomorrow night, and the night after . . .

Keep going while the flame of enthusiasm is burning.

Last edited:
The second set of photos taken of gymnastics were obviously brighter and better quality. I'd suggest you start thinking about making sure the camera is straight, and try to notice the posts/poles etc. and make sure they're straight. I've found there are often a lot of lines and poles and signs, etc. when shooting sports to think about when framing shots. It seems like in some too you got some odd perspective, which I'm wondering if that's the lens (since kit lenses often aren't the best or sharpest lenses).

I'd also notice backgrounds. If you're there a little early while your son's getting ready, try to just look thru the viewfinder and think about the background you'd be getting. As needed change your vantage point (depending on where you can sit/stand) and notice how the background changes as you take a step or a few steps.

Shooting sports involves timing too. Take some time to watch his routines and notice where there are times that there may be a momentary pause - such as when he goes up and there's a pause before he comes back down. Or when he holds a position for a few seconds, that could make for a good photo opportunity. Then next time if he does some of the same routines you'll be able to anticipate that a good photo op is coming up.

As Sharon said, watch the background. The background can be a real bummer when you have people in the background wearing BRIGHT clothes. The BRIGHT clothes attracts your eye to it, and away from the kids. This is the problem that I have shooting indoor sports (volleyball and basketball).

You should shoot a LOT. The more you shoot, the easier it will get.
It is like any kind of practice. You practice to get better.
Example, I've shot football enough that it is fairly easy for me to shoot. Soccer however, is another story, I keep shooting it because I am not happy with how I shot the last game. There is still lots of room for improvement. So I keep shooting and practicing.

Keep notes on the conditions at the venues and how you set the camera. What worked and what did not, and why.
The better notes you take, the easier it will be to deal with different conditions at other venues. Don't work from scratch, or keep making the same mistake. Use your notes to jump start the problem solving.

I personally feel that indoor sports photos, especially at "kid" age meets, are one of the most difficult things to photograph well. You are really fighting an uphill battle there. I took my camera to a collegiate gymnastic meet over the weekend, and there were amazing scenes to be photographed but I don't think I stood a chance from the stands.

Having said that, I think you did pretty good on that second set of pictures. The ones on the rings are pretty darn good. I guess I missed it along the line, but what lens(es) are you using and what are you doing for postprocessing? Shooting in RAW??

That coach with the white Mohawk....man that is awesome. Like maybe the best hair I've seen. EVER!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back