Indoor wedding lighting

selo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I mostly do studio photography where alls flashes etc. are set perfectly for the situation. Now a days we get more and more wedding bookings and small parties for indoors. I ussually use a speedlight on camera and am experimenting with off camera flashes. However that is not allways possible. For situations where I am stuck with just one on camera speedlight I am looking for the best settings.

The problem I get is when i set the exposure correct for the distance i have with the subject but the subjects moves back and forth or when I want to photograph someone which is little further away, my photo gets over or under exposed.

I ussualy set the speedlight at 1/16 or 1/20 (to save battery life and faster recycle time).. shutter i try to keep as high as possible ussually 1/180 but will drop if needed.. f-stop for indivudual f2.8 for groups f4 ish. Cant go much higher.

With this setup i only rapidtly change the iso to get correct exposure.. even then i miss some nice situations. I dont feel like i am ready to shoot amything. Every step i take i have to change the settings.. which makes it hard to capture important fast changing situations.

So i am curious how you guys handle this situations? I tried some automatic settings like auto iso, shutter and ettl but nothing really worked.

This all refers to indoors btw.

I would also love to get some tips on external flash for indoors. Speedlights, battery packed flashes? How many etc.?

Step one: Get the freakin' speedlight OFF the camera! At a minimum use a flash bracket, but I find I get much better results using a TTL cable and holding the speedlight in one hand and the camera in the other. I normally shoot in aperture priority and use TTL flash exposure for event work. For the ceremony, I'd go manual since I'd expect the conditions to be relatively static.

First of all, speedlight flash at 1/16 power, and apparently in manual, fractional power mode? Ughhhh. Definitely, Neil V's book could bring you up to speed.

Get a TTL capable flash, and a potent external battery for it, and learn how to use it in TtL mode, or A-mode,so it will be fast to shoot. You want an external battery for long events.

Look for Neil's video on YouTube, the one he did at B&H Photo.

if your not able to raise your shutter speed due to flash sync speed, just get a flash capable of HSS.
you might need to up the power on the flash.
how are you currently using the flash?
when I shot weddings, for the parts where I could use flash i generally bounced using a rogue flashbender. I also had 5" softboxes for the flashes and used them either on a flash bracket, or on a monopod using radio triggers with someone else holding it.

Just skimmed through neils website looks very good. Ill read it today. I think ill get the book as well.

I use flash at 1/16 with a diffuser and ussually bounce it from the ceiling or wall. I normally use ETTL (same as TTL?) but at one event my battery died every hour. So i decided to shoot at manual 1/16 and the battery lasted almost the whole day.

Some weddings arr very hectic.. people are dancing everywhere and a lot of things going on. For situations where I know what is going to happen I can set everything up for that situation and get great exposure. But i dont feel like i am flexible when things get busier and i can just shoot away not worrying about changing settings for every step i take.

For normal situatios like a ceremony of bride and groom preparing of fotoshoots I am not worried about lightning.. you ussually get more than one chance also.

My worries are more for situations that are not controlled like a busy dancefloor. Or people dancing on other places. Or kids running around. Our weddings are pretty hectic.

I somtetimes go to kids birthday parties as well. Very little room and bad lightning. I cant always setup a external flash because kids maybe tip it over. Kids are running around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back