Inexpensive P&S for daughter

revjavadude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a Nikon DSL guy with a Canon G10, so I'm obviously not completely brand loyal. Looking for suggestions for a birthday gift for my daughter. It would be her first "real" digital camera (not a toy-like device). She's careful and eager to do more photography. I'd prefer to stay well below $200, even in the $100 range if there is anything worth looking at. Style is important as she's a kid, but quality is important to her dad. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm a Nikon DSL guy with a Canon G10, so I'm obviously not completely brand loyal. Looking for suggestions for a birthday gift for my daughter. It would be her first "real" digital camera (not a toy-like device). She's careful and eager to do more photography. I'd prefer to stay well below $200, even in the $100 range if there is anything worth looking at. Style is important as she's a kid, but quality is important to her dad. Any recommendations? Thanks!
A good one for kids that's pretty rugged as well, with decent quality is the Fuji Z33, not sure what the cost is in America, but it's 200 bucks in Canada.

How old is she?
Age would help determine what type of camera she would be more apt to use/handle.

You can buy a decent P&S from just about anywhere for less than $100
Especially for a "beginner".

Canon SD1100IS or the newer 1200IS are both great point and shoot models. I bought 3 of the 1100IS ones last year for christmas presents for family members. They LOVE them. No settings at all, just point and shoot. They are also small. The new 1200 is about $190 and has a little better low light performance than the 1100.

Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS Dark Gray 10MP Digital Camera [newegg.com]for $230 - $10 coupon code PAYPALBTS25 = $190 with free shipping.

Kodak EasyShare C813, $79-$99

PriceGrabber
With 8.2 megapixels of resolution, the EasyShare C813 from Kodak offers plenty of resolution for most beginning photographers. The unit has a 2.4-inch LCD, limited video capabilities, and a 3X optical zoom lens, but, best of all, the C813 is very easy to use.

I'm quite the fan of Panasonic compacts.
I'd look into the FS7.
Blue, Green, Pink, Black, and Silver. :)
It's thin, and light.
TrustedReviews says it takes good images, but I don't trust them.

Can be had for around $140.
Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My 2 year old abuses my wife's Stylus 730 SW which has been replaced with the Stylus Tough series. It is shock and waterproof. The lens is small and placed in the corner allowing my son to grasp the camera without sticking his fingers in front of the lens. The lens does not physically extend beyond the body which means less chance of mechanical failure. It has been tossed around and dropped on pavement but it still works. It might not the best IQ wise but I wouldn't hesitate recommending it for any rambunctious toddle/kid.

For an older teenager the G10 would be a dream camera (next to an SLR). It is a bit larger than typical P&S which might be a turnoff for many teenagers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back