infant photography

pearl0819

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

My brand new nephew is going to be here in 2 weeks and I would like to take some really cool infant pictures of him his first few days home. Any recommendations on what type of lens to use? I have the Canon 40 D.

Thanks!!!
Sarah

What lenses do you have now?

The lighting, background and props are going to matter more than anything else..

I'd use a 50mm prime, since the baby is pretty small anyway, no need to go wider unless you have a compositional idea where you'd want a lot of negative space.

Don't use onboard flash... try to work with window light and a reflector or (better yet) use an off-camera flash through a diffuser like a softbox. Harsh shadows and babies don't mix.

The other most important thing is to make sure there are few distractions and the setting is simple and clean. Like I said before, backgrounds... I've seen some beautiful photos taken with a roll of paper for a background. Some people use flooring materials... get creative.

Maybe do a "basket" shot? Search the net for infant photo examples and you should get plenty of ideas.

Most reactions

Back