Infrared Cathedral

gizmo2071

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ummonshadow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've experimented in the past with IR photography, but never been able to get the colours right afterwards.

I don't think I gave a long enough shutter speed for these.
Tho on some of them they look exposed while still very red, when i change the white balance they go quite dark.

This ones an attempt I made.

catherdral1.jpg

And heres a link to 8 RAW infrared photos that I took today.
See if you guys can get them to look decent :)

http://www.sicfelt.com/manga/infrared.zip
http://www.sicfelt.com/manga/infrared2.zip

What kind of set up are you using? Filter, camera, film, etc? I'm not an expert on IR but it does look a little flat. Coincidentally I think you could turn this shot into an awesome B&W.

Using a canon 350D.
I don't think I did a long enough exposure on this.
Ermmm I'm not sure what filter I use. It's one that was given to me, it has no markings on it. So I have no idea.

Haha yeah I'm not sure. I know some of the IR shots I take that aren't exposed well end up looking super flat. It's almost as if the exposure looks ok but there's little detail or contrast. The only advice I can really give is to try out the filter a bit more and see if you can get better results. Where was the sun in relation to the subject? I've also noticed I get better results with the sun at my back but that might just be exposure issues. Just give a shot and bracket the hell out of it. I'll rattle off about 10 IR shots to get one or two that have a good exposure. It's just hard to judge.

The sun was pretty much directly behind me.
I think it was just not exposed correctly. It appeared exposed quite well on the LCD while still very red, but when I adjusted the WB it went really dark. I guess I need longer exposures.
Maybe it looks a bit flast because I shot it totallty straight on. Maybe if I had a bit of angle the shadows on the models at the from may pop out more. I'm not sure.
I think I'll play with it some more and then see if anybody here can help me with the post processing.

I would also try a different subject. The sky turned black, but there isn't much else here that will be looking much different in IR. Something living, like green grass or leaves would help. Is that a tree on the left? I'm surprised it didn't show up whiter (reflecting more IR). This looks more like a red-filter shot, which makes green things go dark.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back