Infrared Photography

iBats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im kinda curious as to how this works with digital photography. Is it a filter, or editing in lightroom/photoshop? All i know is that the photos i've found look ridiculous and awesome so i really wanna try this out.

You have to send in your camera and they will convert it for you so you can shoot in infrared. I'm not sure of a website i'm sure someone here will know or just google it.
TJ

is the convert permanent? and are you sure there isnt any other way?

Night vision goggles or scopes are comprised of specially coated optics and or the use of certain chemicals contained therein to enhance the ambient light. Otherwise you need strobes that throw light out (but only to a certain distance) which are effectively below the visible spectrum. You'll see it touted on video cameras as "0 Lux", I believe. Sony had a camcorder that would supposedly see-through clothing with a certain kind of filter though... or maybe that is just Urban Legend?

Well infrared is at a different wavelength or w.e. so i'd imagine the only TRUE way to make it infrared would be to actually send it in and convert it. No just send it back in and they can convert it back to regular. I can't remember the site that did it but it had a great FAQ section.
TJ

Night vision goggles or scopes are comprised of specially coated optics and or the use of certain chemicals contained therein to enhance the ambient light. Otherwise you need strobes that throw light out (but only to a certain distance) which are effectively below the visible spectrum. You'll see it touted on video cameras as "0 Lux", I believe. Sony had a camcorder that would supposedly see-through clothing with a certain kind of filter though... or maybe that is just Urban Legend?

how is this related to infrared?

also any idea on how long it takes to get it converted and get it back?

I'm planning on having my D100 converted after Christmas, BUT you don't have to have it converted. I use a Kodak Wratten 87 gelatin filter in a plastic frame which fits a Cokin filter holder. The filter is opaque to visible light so focus and composition is done first (on tripod) filter added and about a 30sec exposure later you have a very pink looking IR photo which you convert to monochrome later in your computer. Digital sensors are VERY sensitive to IR light so all cameras have an IR blocking filter in front of the sensor. Some block more than others and the D100 for example allows enough IR through that with the filter it works pretty well (remember 30 sec exposure). The conversion removes the IR blocking filter and replaces it with a visible light blocking filter so that your camera works completely normally (exposure may need some tweaking) and the viewfinder works normally. The camera can be used hand held as exposures are in the normal range (even if tweaked) and the camera will only take IR photos. The other conversion replaces the IR blocking filter with a piece of plain glass and a filter is required to shoot IR and another filter is required to shoot normally. With this conversion you get both normal and IR but every shot must use a filter. I found several conversion sources but I've read good things about Jim Chen Digital Infrared at Jim Chen photography .

I had my camera converted by lifepixel, you can shoot handheld and get results like this.

irstudy.jpg

I did use a strobe in this shot though.

Dan

Most reactions

Back