Infrared..

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking everywhere and i cant seem to get any direct answers to this question. So, i figured id ask here. I was looking into infrared photography, and I was wondering what type of modifications had to be done in order to shoot this. I have seen some places that say you have to take off the clear hot coated mirror or something along that sorts that covers your cameras sensor and replace it with a clear one with an IR filter in order to shoot them, then Hoyas website says you need a filer and IR film. This has been very confusing to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

yea there are filters for it i believe, but you can also just keep everything the way it is, and turn the photo into an infared in post processing.. photoshop does a great job of it..

heres a sample

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKoFFKJ14ZE"]this is a tutorial[/ame]

I have been looking everywhere and i cant seem to get any direct answers to this question. So, i figured id ask here. I was looking into infrared photography, and I was wondering what type of modifications had to be done in order to shoot this. I have seen some places that say you have to take off the clear hot coated mirror or something along that sorts that covers your cameras sensor and replace it with a clear one with an IR filter in order to shoot them, then Hoyas website says you need a filer and IR film. This has been very confusing to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

I'm a not an expert like many of the others on this forum, but I'm interested in IR too. I've shot IR on an analog camera, and all that is necessary is IR film.

In the digital world, what I've found is that it depends upon your camera. I have a d80, which apparently has an enhanced filter over the sensor that requires much longer exposures (with an IR filter). From what I've read, earlier model Nikons don't have this filter and do better with a Hoya (or other IR filter). There are online companies that will modify your camera (permanently) by removing the manufacturers IR filter.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone with more knowledge will respond with additional information.

Ryan

I got a mod from Life Pixel. They remove the hot mirror from the sensor and replace it with an IR filter. It works well. No long exposure . The in camera meter is off by two stops. If you use a strobe it rocks, The sekonic is dead on. Mine is a canon xti and on this model the ir filter is so thin it leeks some visible light. A fun toy to play with and lots of artistic room.

Yeah, at an ectra $300-$400, id rather just but photoshop and pay the little more and still have my regular D90 without changing anything ermanently :lol: But, like i said with the Hoya filters, would it be as simple as just putting the IR filter on the front of the lens and having the exposure longer? Or would you still need some other type of modification? And I know almost everything is easily (not so much easily...) done over photoshop, but I don thave that. Nor do I have enough room or a fast enough computer to have it for that matter :lol:

Mark

Well Ummmmmmm yes but there are draw backs. A hoya filter plus long exposure will yeild a mostly IR image. Its like this

Normal light > Hoya filter > Mostly just IR light > That darn hot mirror blocking the IR > A wee bit of IR and visible light to expose the sensor.

This is why it takes a long time to get the exposure and then its mixed with a fair amount of visible.

With the conversion is like this

Normal light > IR filter over the sensor > Mostly IR hitting sensor for fast exposure.

Yes its expensive conversion and then is IR only.

Is there anywhere I can see an example of an IR photo using the Hoya filter?

Mark

Ok, one more qestion. When you take an infrared picture, what color does it come out straight from the camera? I have seen some places sow a red picture for a 100% infrared picture, then I have seen others with remarably white foliage and amazingly undersaturated surroundings. Which of these is actually true?

Mark

i use a watten 89 filter on a d100, the times are around 10 seconds with an ISO of 200, and of course using a tripod.

the file is magenta until converting

i also have a camera , fuji s9100, that has been converted to do IR, with this camera i can handhold and also see what is in the frame. With the D100, everything is done ; i.e.focusing (manual) then the filter is added.

Altho the camera allows hand holding it still uses a special filter for IR, and then i can replaced with another filter which will allow "normal" type photos.

check this site for indepth info
LDP NET

Is anyone farmiliar with Photofiltre? That is the only editing software I have, and I wasn wondering if anyone knew if you could convert a picture to infrared on there like in photoshop? I doubt it, but i figure its worth a shot.

Mark

Does anyone own the Cokin 89B infrared filter? I am really interested in getting the cokin series of filters as I hear they are very reputable and creative and I would really like this infrared to be available to be in my collection. Thanks again in advance.

Mark

I love photofiltre. It really is a great program with alot of features. But, Ive always wanted to download gimp. Will that do the INfrared conversions?

Mark

i am not a user of cokin filters, as i much prefer glass.

Any editing software should convert the files to either black and white or color IR.

I am also not a fan of plug-ins for this effect, but that is just a personal decision.

Is there anywhere I can see an example of an IR photo using the Hoya filter?

Mark

Here are 2 I shot but mine was with an Opteka IR filter.

bridgeir_filtered.jpg

_9012647-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back