Infrared..

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Markw, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    any edititing program should work.
    i use wratten kodak filters because i have had them for years when i shot IR film.
    However, when i got the fuji from maxmax i got the necessary filters from them as they are not the standard ones one would find .

I have several glass filters that i bought on ebay to test and they are fine.

Frankly, any well known filter maker will make a good filter, altho, as i said before i am not a cokin user so i can't speak to that product.

2. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I downloaded Gimp. It is sooo much different than photofiltre. Much more confusing. Is there any good tutorials online? Also, I closed the 'layers, channels, and ___' window and I caqnt seem to get it back up. Any help there would help. It takes about 10 minutes to do one thing on it because my computer is so stocked and therefore slow. Any help would be amaing. thanks. I dont know if this should have its own thread or not..

Mark

3. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. bikefreax

bikefreax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mine was just straight out of the camera and it was all red. All I did was convert it to black and white. I did not other changes. But I did use a special white balance.

5. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    About that special white ballance..is there any set way to do that? I ave the D90 and for the life of me cant figure out how to do it. Any help with that would be amazing too. Also, how do you tell if the IR image turns out well? Expect everything that you normally would from a regular image, just colorized red?

Mark

6. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't read all the thread, but there's a test to see how well your camera picks up IR. Take a remote control, point it at your lens and hold a button while you do a 1 or more second exposure. If, in the picture, you can see light coming from the remote, then the IR filter on your sensor isn't super strong.

7. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, so I did the infrared sensor test thing that Tolyk said, and this this is the turnout with a 15sec exposure:

[​IMG]

So what does this mean?

Mark

PS. Dont forget my question about how to set the special white balance for Infrared photos :lol:

8. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Only some cameras have a built in infrared feature. My Pentax K20 for instance. I switch it to B&W and apply a IR filter right in camera, and I've got IR photos.

9. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So does this mean that I could do the same with my D90? Sorry for all the questions, but I dont know much about infrared photography and am very interested in it.

Mark

10. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that test just shows if it can see infrared well enough to utilize it. You'd still need to use one of the IR filters to block all the other visible light, so you get a true IR photo. But, yes. You can do IR on the D90, with long shutter speeds and IR filters.

11. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Makes sense. Very cool test. Would have never thought of it. Now, Ive seen somewhere that you can set your cameras White Balance by pointing it at something (ie the grass/foliage when doing infrared) and setting it somehow. Is this possible with the D90? If not, I know that you are supposed to be using a certain White balance when doing infrared, so how could I do this with the D90?

Mark

12. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit

bump