Infrared..

Ok, so I did the infrared sensor test thing that Tolyk said, and this this is the turnout with a 15sec exposure:

DSC_0477.jpg

So what does this mean?

Mark

PS. Dont forget my question about how to set the special white balance for Infrared photos :lol:

Only some cameras have a built in infrared feature. My Pentax K20 for instance. I switch it to B&W and apply a IR filter right in camera, and I've got IR photos.

So does this mean that I could do the same with my D90? Sorry for all the questions, but I dont know much about infrared photography and am very interested in it.

Mark

that test just shows if it can see infrared well enough to utilize it. You'd still need to use one of the IR filters to block all the other visible light, so you get a true IR photo. But, yes. You can do IR on the D90, with long shutter speeds and IR filters.

Makes sense. Very cool test. Would have never thought of it. Now, Ive seen somewhere that you can set your cameras White Balance by pointing it at something (ie the grass/foliage when doing infrared) and setting it somehow. Is this possible with the D90? If not, I know that you are supposed to be using a certain White balance when doing infrared, so how could I do this with the D90?

Mark

I dont know about the D90 but my Olympus has a custom white balance you can set. Basically I set it to custom white balance then put the filter on. I found a nice green spot of grass and took the picture to set the white balance. It should say something in you owners manual because I know nothing about the Nikons.

Last edited:
LIke Tolyk said...the remote thing does tell if you have an IR Blocker...I have a digital point and shoot camera, and if you set it to live view, then point the remote at it, you can see the light light up (on the screen of course)

I found a thing on Instructables on how to make an IR filter for a P&S camera.
heres the URL to my search: How to Make infrared - Instructables search Instructables

And heres the exact one I am reffering to: Take Infrared Pictures With Your Digital Camera

I havent tried it, but form the pics he has, they look pretty darn cool if nothing else. If you want one for a larger lens, im sure you could obtain a roll of 120 or 4x5 film and have that devoloped (dont forget to leave one unexposed)

Another way is with color gels. Find an IR sensitive camera like an old olympus. Tape a red green and blue filter over the flash. Use a peanut to fire a big strobe if necessary also gelled. Make your light all IR and use no filter on the glass. Play with gell combo to change effect. ~ Two blue ,one red ,one green ~ ect.

Why heck todays P&S cams are dirt cheep. It will be cheeper to buy a P&S and remove the hot miror than buy a good ir filter. CRRRRRAZYYYYY.

Anywho I would be interested to know of a P&S that is fairly easy to get at the sensor filter. ( bench job for micro solder tech )

Sigma makes a nice SLR that has user removable hot glass for IR Photography.

Ok, so Im thinking I will get the Hoya Infrared filter (i think its R-72 or RM-72 or something along those lines) and a tripod with my D90, and try that out for my infrared shots. Sound good?

Mark

Yes, I brought it back. The torturous thread that never got anywhere, but I have another question. I never ended up getting the Hoya filter, and now Im looking for another filter. I was wondering whether I should get the

Opteka HD2 R72 720nm IR filter: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-720nm-Infrared-X-Ray-Filter/dp/B000MD8XKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242442347&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Opteka HD² 62mm R72 720nm Infrared X-Ray IR Filter: Electronics[/ame]

or will this work?
NEW 62mm IR Infrared 950nm Standard Filter DSLR F4T - eBay (item 140320065796 end time May-17-09 23:57:37 PDT)

Thanks.
Mark

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
your not comparing apples to apples here

i am not familar with the maker of these filters, but they are very different in the cut range.

i would opt for the 72 filter.

however, the camera type (sensor) along with the filter and of course the pp work influence the outcome. it is more than just a mouse click away.

lifepixel as a basic tutorial on line . or try joseph levy's website. he has a step by step description of pp. another tutorial will be mark johnson's site

http://www.msjphotography.com/

http://www.pbase.com/catson/image/29447046

these links should get you to the above mentioned sites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back