Infrared..

I love photofiltre. It really is a great program with alot of features. But, Ive always wanted to download gimp. Will that do the INfrared conversions?

Mark

i posted a link earlier to a youtube guide... follow those directions using gimp.. it may be a bit different (as they are not the same program) but theres no reason it shouldnt do it

Mark, a few shots using a Rebel XTi and a Hoya R72 Ir filter. Most of my Ir images are between 10 - 15 second exposures. I have never found a problem at all...quite simple and I still have my camera for normal use.
A very good link that should answer most of your Infrared questions http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM
I would not even consider these editing programs that suggest Ir imaging, as I have only seen mediocre results. In my opinion, use an IR filter or an Ir dedicated camera. Both will give you very nice results.
IMG_6084.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I was looking through Photofiltre, and this is as far as I can come to getting an IR image effect. The picture was taken in Virginia off a kodak P&S. I know, its a miserable attempt, but its as close as I can get.

Original:
101_3511.jpg

IR attempt:
111.jpg

Mark

markw,
but that photo was not taken with an IR filter, correct?

IMHO, if you want a real IR effect, you need the proper equipment, it is not just the software.

I agree 100% with you ann. I was just curious. Now the next question is which company to go with for the filter. Hoya? Cokin? Wratten (kodak)?

Mark

I also have the question that, if I were to get oen of these filtersw, I wouldnt be able to get one of these IR images to look right like the ones shown above by Sympl and bikefreax without photoshop yes? Or would gimp do that?

Mark

Hey.
I have just recently gotten into IR photography so ill tell ya what i know.

I own an olympus E-510, no mods, and it works quite well with the IR filter with usually a shutter speed around 10s and ISO 200.
I use a Hoya filter and it seems that this brand of filter for IR is quite good. i would recommend it.
when you take a, it will come out looking red/orangish.
(i would suggest definitally using RAW when shooting IR).
To get it looking like a real IR photo i just use GIMP(good program, works great) and do some editing.
Once you have GIMP take a look at this video on how to do the channel swapping and other things to make the picture look awesome.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbHzBZtZaIM]YouTube - Swapping Red & Blue Channels On GIMP[/ame]

hope that kinda helps

any edititing program should work.
i use wratten kodak filters because i have had them for years when i shot IR film.
However, when i got the fuji from maxmax i got the necessary filters from them as they are not the standard ones one would find .

I have several glass filters that i bought on ebay to test and they are fine.

Frankly, any well known filter maker will make a good filter, altho, as i said before i am not a cokin user so i can't speak to that product.

I downloaded Gimp. It is sooo much different than photofiltre. Much more confusing. Is there any good tutorials online? Also, I closed the 'layers, channels, and ___' window and I caqnt seem to get it back up. Any help there would help. It takes about 10 minutes to do one thing on it because my computer is so stocked and therefore slow. Any help would be amaing. thanks. I dont know if this should have its own thread or not..

Mark

I also have the question that, if I were to get oen of these filtersw, I wouldnt be able to get one of these IR images to look right like the ones shown above by Sympl and bikefreax without photoshop yes? Or would gimp do that?

Mark

Mine was just straight out of the camera and it was all red. All I did was convert it to black and white. I did not other changes. But I did use a special white balance.

About that special white ballance..is there any set way to do that? I ave the D90 and for the life of me cant figure out how to do it. Any help with that would be amazing too. Also, how do you tell if the IR image turns out well? Expect everything that you normally would from a regular image, just colorized red?

Mark

I didn't read all the thread, but there's a test to see how well your camera picks up IR. Take a remote control, point it at your lens and hold a button while you do a 1 or more second exposure. If, in the picture, you can see light coming from the remote, then the IR filter on your sensor isn't super strong.

Most reactions

Back