What's new

interesting subject??

dylanstraub

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
356
Reaction score
11
Location
Delaware
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$On The River.webp

I shot this under the Reedy Point Bridge on the C&D Canal in Delaware. It was kind of a gray Sunday morning but I got up early anyway. I usually try to get up with the sun as everyone is asleep and I have no responsibilities. It's the best day for photography. I'm want to know if anyone likes the subject because my likes and dislikes are usually pretty far off from everyone else. Thanks for looking.
 
Wow 47 views and not one comment. I suppose that answers my question.
 
Hey fellow Delawarean!
I don't know why but this image doesn't do it for me, take that for what it is worth. I am a amateur


Since u were by canal u are in northern Delaware, I am in like creek area
 
I'll try to be specific.

Tug boats are interesting. Bridges are also interesting. But together the image is flat.

Bridges are usually interesting because of the patterns, structure, and high contrast. Usually something with interesting patterns, texture, structure, patterns, and rhythm would be a great subject to shoot in black & white. The tug is also a bit soft, the background is a distraction, there's a lot of noise in the image and the saturation looks like it was boosted. So we can't quite see any crisp detail in the tug. The overall image has a lot of mid-tones which generally contributes to the flatness of the image.

Don't give up. Keep shooting. I admire that you're wiling to get up early to shoot during the dawn golden-hour (even though this particular day was heavily overcast.)

You didn't post any exposure info and there's no EXIF data. Based on the fact that the water motion is frozen (I'm looking at the water breaking at the bow) I'm guessing you used a shutter speed of at least 1/250th or above. Use a tripod, "pan" the boat (use a tripod if you must) with a lower shutter speed, go ahead and let the water blur out. Drop the ISO to reduce the noise in the exposure. I'm not sure what f-stop you used - it might have been excessive.
 
Not bad.... heavy things fill frame...that is a problem... if zoomed out a bit, could have improved... a feeling only

All The Best :D
 
Thanks for the feedback. I liked the combination of the bridge and boat but after looking at this again it does appear very flat. Certainly the cloudy sky didn't help things. Here is the exif information: aperture priority mode F4 1\2500 ISO 200 -1 step exposure bias (that's not helping me here) Center Weighted Average meter mode. I used a 60 mm prime because I didn't have my 18-55 mm with me. Thanks again to everyone who commented. I really needed the constructive criticism. I guess I'l take my own advice and keep shooting.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom