Intro and Feedback!

Mamamilkies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I am new to photography forums but not to the world of message boards. My name is Chantel and I'm what you would like to call a semi-pro photographer. I've been paid for my work so I'm not an amature, but I don't have the skills and experience I'd consider to be a professional level. So, semi-pro it is! :mrgreen: I spent the last year sans camera and recently bought a Nikon D80 body and Nikkor 18-135 lens which is serving me well. Boy am I RUSTY though! My favorite subjects are my 6 kids Gabe, Hannah, Noah, Isabella, and newborn twins Claire and Ben. My favorite thing to photograph are births and I'm an aspiring midwife. I miss working but don't have the time right now!

So, anyway, I'm back to the basics right now. Lighting, composition, focus, and white balance to name a few. I DO NOT own photoshop so these are SOOC. Feedback and editing more than welcome. :sexywink:

Glad to be here!

These were taken outside with fill flash (which is on camera, and sucky, I'm in the market for an off camera flash and diffuser).

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Welcome aboard. I haven't been doing this long enough to give good feedback but those photos look great. I also have the same camera and lens and can tell you the 18-135 lens is a good all around lens which you are proving with your photos.

Chris

Critique per req:
1. An interesting picture, but not a composition of which I am especially fond. The flowers are held in such a way as to just about totally mask her nose and mouth, and at first glance I find myself wondering if there isn't something wrong with her face. The crop is also a little tight, and while there isn't much of it, the background is much to sharply focused; always try and bring your subjects well forward. You did however get great catchlights in her eyes!
2. Again, the crop is rather tight for my taste, and the background intrudes somewhat, however the main issue is the stek of purple flowers which ends dead-centre at left pupil. This really doesn't work for me. Also the blown highlights in the centre of the yellow-green bloom lower right.
3. I much prefer this one, again, I don't like such a close crop, however being able to see her whole face really improves the image. Becareful that you crop or clone out all of the flowers, the tips in the lower-right are just large enough to be annoying (I realize you don't have Photoshop; however there are lots of inexpensive and free photo-editors that will do all you need). Also, again, excellent catchlights and really nice eyes.
I've geared this critique to someone with your stated level of expertise, so if it seems a little nit-picky, that would be why.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.
~John

Critique per req:
1. An interesting picture, but not a composition of which I am especially fond. The flowers are held in such a way as to just about totally mask her nose and mouth, and at first glance I find myself wondering if there isn't something wrong with her face. The crop is also a little tight, and while there isn't much of it, the background is much to sharply focused; always try and bring your subjects well forward. You did however get great catchlights in her eyes!
2. Again, the crop is rather tight for my taste, and the background intrudes somewhat, however the main issue is the stek of purple flowers which ends dead-centre at left pupil. This really doesn't work for me. Also the blown highlights in the centre of the yellow-green bloom lower right.
3. I much prefer this one, again, I don't like such a close crop, however being able to see her whole face really improves the image. Becareful that you crop or clone out all of the flowers, the tips in the lower-right are just large enough to be annoying (I realize you don't have Photoshop; however there are lots of inexpensive and free photo-editors that will do all you need). Also, again, excellent catchlights and really nice eyes.
I've geared this critique to someone with your stated level of expertise, so if it seems a little nit-picky, that would be why.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.
~John

Not nit-picky at all, thank you for the honest critique! Especially about the background. I didn't realize until you pointed it out that I had my f-stop at a 9 (or 10) because I'd been shooting something else prior to starting with Hannah. I forgot to change it back. See, rusty! The tight cropping I'm afraid is a stylistic attribute of mine though. :sexywink: I had a similar comment on another board about the flower ending right at her pupil. That bums me out because I really like her expression in that one.

Most reactions

Back