Introduction and CC request

Familyphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I just registered here hoping to get some feedback and constructive criticism on my photography. Looking forward to learning and growing here with everyone!

4710031355_2aa343654d.jpg

4471888578_70bfcf9ddd_o.jpg

4727673278_a056b72dbb.jpg

These images are of my children. I have many more but I thought I would start with a personal touch. ;-)

Welcome. C&C per req:

1. A cute concept and an interesting post-processing treatment. Personally, I would like to see a little more illumination in the area of the child's face and shirt, esp on his right side. As well, remember when photographing children and pets, you're best to get down to their level. A lower shooting position would have let us see more of his/her face.

2. Another intesting treatment, rather reminiscent of a 1940s image. It's too dark for my taste; I'd like to see it at least a full stop brighter, and I'd prefer to have subject looking toward the camera. There's too much in the background to really allow the eye to concentrate on the subject however. Try to find home homogenous and simple backdrops for your shots.

3. This one does little for me. The exposure here was tricky, and the lower child's face is at least one, if not 1 1/2 stops too dark. I would also prefer to see this opened up; I think situating the viewer so that they see the children playing would make for a stronger image.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I truly appreciate it!

oh, the third one is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for the first- I honestly wanna see more of a child face. + I think your signature would add some great effect. The photo is very simple and your signature is elegant. The combination would look SICK)))

the second one is nice, I love retro style, but I would contrast the colors more.

and the third is Fantastic.....oh... colors, accuracy, faces, composition....Love it!

Hope to see more of your works

Thanks! I have a Flickr and a website too, if you're interested in seeing some more shots. Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

The third one is definitely my favorite, however I have a couple of nit-picky things on my mind.

1. Strong vignette, something I've personally started to dislike after having a long period of using them myself. A bit on the darker side for me, including the eyes, something that to me makes the little guy look quite evil. A good concept though I really don't enjoy how high the camera is, forcing you to shoot down at an awkward level for a little child.

I do like the line-work you've incorporated as well as the image manipulation. A little heavy handed for my taste, but a good job (speaking specifically of the colors, tones, and saturation of the image)

2. Vignette again, sorry to bring it up just as I said before something I no longer have taste for anymore. This time you are almost on the same plane as the subject which is a much more flattering angle. Seems you either had a tilt/shift or did some image manipulation to blur out the top of her head, I'm guessing this was image manipulation simply because the blurr seems a bit off to me. Could just be the lens though.

I do like the saturation, and contrast in this photo. Also, love the fact that you realize not every picture of your children needs to be smiling and laughing :) This sounds like a small compliment, but on the contrary this is quite big. Just like adults, sometimes things just look better serious! I enjoy the composition as well, a slightly tighter crop could just increase interest slightly but I don't think it is needed.

3. This is one of those times I realize these are spur of the moment shots, but just still want a little more because of the potential! Lovely shot, the only problem is I'm seeing up a little girl's nose. Well that and the other child is in dire need of a reflector to help light her up a bit. Actually, the image is slightly tilted (even if it is technically straight the image feels like it is tilting to the left).

So close to a perfect, truly candid shot, that it makes me just want more. The colors are spot on for the feeling you're pulling out, as well as the complimenting composition. Very nice shot, especially for a family book. Something I wish I had growing up!

Overall, these are nice shots. I understand they are of your family so most likely the highest grade of effort was probably not going into it (we all know that by the time you are shooting loved ones all you want to do is just click the shutter and enjoy their company) So take what I say with a side order of salt.

Can't wait to see some more

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some feedback on these. I definitely fixed the first one's exposure because I see what you mean about him looking evil! lol
Yes, these are of my family but they are also taken months ago, and I have been learning SO much since then...
So, here are a few more recent ones. Hope I'm getting better! ;-)

5020568318_da953d4a22.jpg

5093909966_da6ce4bd01.jpg

5136103921_0947a662a6.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back