iPad mini thoughts

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I been looking for an iPad. I like the feel of the mini because it's easy to read articles and I can use only one hand. I think the iPad 2 or Retina full size ones are just a little bit to overkill for me. The only thing I would like the retina is for the 1. Display and 2. The faster processor.

Does anyone have a mini to give a few pros and cons from a photographer perspective?

What are you planning on doing with your iPad? If you're planning on doing processing or lots of looking at photos, the iPad mini screen may be a little small, however, I find that sort of stuff cumbersome on an iPad anyway.

I own and original iPad and an iPad mini, and I think that the iPad mini is much better form factor. In fact, I wouldn't recommend a full-sized iPad under any circumstances (with the caveat that I do all my photo work on a computer). The display on the mini is really good, so even if it isn't a retina, I don't think you'll notice a lack of quality.

No problem running iPhoto on my Mini, although it doesn't read the Sony RAW files. I prefer the size. It is easier to carry.

I plan on doing a lot of reading. And mainly just a little digital portfolio if I'm out and about i can show some pictures etc. nothing too extensive

The faster processor is all well and good, but a lot of that processing power is going towards the Retina display, so as far as speed is concerned... the Retina and the Mini are fairly comparable to each other.

PERSONALLY... my favorite is the Mini... but I like it cause it's small and light and I have kindergartener sized hands. :biglaugh:

But my husband prefers the larger one cause he watches a ton of movies on it and he likes having the extra real estate.

Thank you guys! It's more or less a fun little tool to have for me. It's main purpose won't be for photography but figured if I could carry a small little tablet for a digital portfolio that would be great. Plus I could also use it with an eyefi cars when I'm on shoots to check focus and composition on a slightly larger screen than the LCD on the camera.

Cheers!

PERSONALLY... my favorite is the Mini... but I like it cause it's small and light and I have kindergartener sized hands. :biglaugh:

But my husband prefers the larger one cause he watches a ton of movies on it and he likes having the extra real estate.
She acts like she works for Apple or something! Whatever! ;) I looooove my full sized iPad. (I have the retina one) The image quality/color is dead on to my calibrated monitor. I also find it easier to maneuver in Candy Crush with the larger iPad. You should tell that to your customers Emily.

I passed on the iPad mini... it's too wide to fit in a pocket. If I have to carry it in my hand, I may as well get a full size iPad.

So I got a Nexus 7. Tradeoff is that I'd rather be reading on a full size tablet (I read and work on writing things while on the train to and from work) but the Nexus 7 fits in my pants pocket (front or back) and also in an inside jacket pocket so I'm more likely to have it with me when I'm out and about.

But now I', thinking I'll get a full size tablet. Easier to read. But I'm not sure how well i'll be able to thumb-type while standing on the train. I also wonder if I'll carry it everywhere like I do (did, RIP) with the Nexus 7. If not, it will turn out to be better for reading but worse for everything else.

I don't think there are any real clear winners here just yet... everything is still a tradeoff. Lately I'm thinking towards a full size for reading "when I take it with me" and a mini or a 5" phone for note taking and writing. But the small touch keyboard makes me go NOOOO!

Maybe next year?

I have both a mini and a retina iPad (develop apps and demo software) and my iPad stays in my drawer, the mini in my laptop bag. I dont really notice any graphics issues (lack of retina was a concern for me at first) and the size is much more versatile. In effect the iPad mini is just an iPad 2 shrunk.

If I had to make the choice right now for size vs functionality I would get the mini. However, it is rumoured the iPad mini 2 will be out in the next 6 months with retina display. That said, there is always some new iDevice being released (in my opinion its their big problem as they are competing 1 device against may different manufacturers so hardly anyone ever has the latest device but that a whole other story).

She acts like she works for Apple or something! Whatever! ;) I looooove my full sized iPad. (I have the retina one) The image quality/color is dead on to my calibrated monitor. I also find it easier to maneuver in Candy Crush with the larger iPad. You should tell that to your customers Emily.

What? The Candy Crush bit? :lmao:

Next time I ask someone, "What are you planning on using it for?" and they say "Candy Crush" I'll tell them, "Well... I HEAR... the Retina display is MUCH better for that." :biglaugh:

But I'm not sure how well i'll be able to thumb-type while standing on the train.

Fun Fact, Burgh, if this is something you care about as well... if you hold the iPad between your hands and put your thumbs towards the center of the keyboard and drag them apart, it'll split the keyboard and bring each end closer to your thumbs so you can thumb type more easily. :sillysmi:

Oh okay! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow after work! I'm gonna give it one last look at best buy and probably snag one up. Along with a case.

I have one and love it! Fits in my camera bag and I can upload photos to see what I have taken. I use it more than my computer. Even take it to bed to watch Movies. I bought PS app and got a lot of photo apps for free.

Most reactions

Back