IR with a 350d

hot shot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but im going to ask it anyway can you do infa red shots with a cannon 350d ?? If I can what am I going to need

Cheers

I could be wrong, but I assume that like the 300D, the 350 would have an IR filter above the CCD. If it does this effectively prohibits it from doing IR photography. There are tutorials on the internet for removing the filter on the 300D, and if it has it you may find a tutorial to remove it from the 350, but it's not for the faint hearted and I sure wouldn't want to do it to my camera.

You can still do it with both cameras. But it will require some post work in PS.
You'll need an IR filter. I think the most common is an R72. The size will depend on the lens you're using.

I stand corrected. I understood from what I read that it was beyond difficult. Thanks Woodsac.

Many on this forum and elsewhere have gotten excellent results with the unmodified 300D and a Hoya R72 as woodsac said. The vast majority of people removing the built in IR cut off filter are doing so to use the camera for astrophotograghy, shooting very dim subjects that emit a fair percentage of thier light in near IR. The only downside to leaving the filter in is the long exposure times, you won't be shooting any action. Average exposures are around 30secs so a tripod is a must.

In addition to the filter you may also want to consider getting a 50mm prime or other suitable lens if you don't already have one. Many lenses produce a "hotspot" in the center of the frame when shooting in IR. It seems some Canon lenes are not suitable and others are just fine, some say it has to do with the anti-reflective coatings used.

Here is a list I found second hand, Im not sure who originally compiled it, hope it helps.

Good
Canon EF 17-40mm L f/?
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 28-135mm/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon EF 35mm f/2
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MKI
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MKII
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L
Canon EF 75-300mm/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon EF 135mm f/2L
Canon EF 100-400mm4.0-5.6 IS L
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro

Bad
Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8 L
Canon EF 20mm f/2.8
Canon EF 24-85mm f/?
Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 28-105mm f/?
Canon EF 35-80/4.0-5.6
Canon EF 50mm/f1.4
Canon EF 50mm/f2.5 Macro
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
Tamron 70-300mm f3.x-xxx Macro

Guys: I'm going to move this thread to the General Photography Q&A forum, since digital IR has broad appeal and isn't really an alternative photographic technique. :) Enjoy!

relay like the one of the build withh the blue sky. Just to let people know a 55mm RM-27 filter is £26 should be albe to get one tomrow so ill post my results in a few days

Heh. Figures. I mainly shoot with a 50/1.4 and 85/1.8. And people in motion.

Here's a link I found on Daniel's website for a company that does the in-camera filter replacement: http://www.lifepixel.com/
I'd love to have a second camera with that done.

And nice shots, Matt. It's cool to see that landscapes can be done without a mod.

Sigh to be able to aford a second camera realy nice pictures

^ hey i know where lincolnshire is

those infrared pics are great...all you used was a 300D or 20D + Hoya RM72 infrared filter? Just point, focus, then shoot? Any settings you have to change on camera for better results? Any post-editing? Sorry for all these questions at once, I've always been at awe with infrared pictures. :)

I'd love to know more about this, too, as I am thinking of purchasing a Hoya RM-72. I ordered the f/1.8 50mm yesterday just because I read so many good things about it, and now I see that it can work for IR too!

I have a tripod and lots of patience, so the 30-second exposure necessary for my 350D's IR filter to stay intact doesn't bother me. No way is my baby undergoing that kind of surgery! :lol:

So how do you process the images you've shot in Photoshop, and if you don't feel like spelling it all out, do you have a good link I can see (specific to shooting IR images with a camera that has an IR filter like mine). Thanks!

Most reactions

Back