is a Nikon D7000 worth the upgrade?

ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm an American photographer living in Brazil. However, I teach english and cameras here are SUPER expensive. But since my income is limited, I won't be able to fully upgrade to a full frame camera when i arrive in the U.S. next month for vacation.

I currently have a D60 and want to upgrade to the D7000.
But since my spending money is limited, i have to choose between the following options.

2 additional SB-600s with a SU-800 Commander or 3 SB-600s with pocket-wizards.

or

Nikon D7000 with the SU-800 commander and probably 1 SB-600. (i already have 1 SB-600)

the d7000 has the following advantages that I've been interested in.
high-iso/low noise
on camera motor.

but, if i don't go with the d7000 i am investing more money in a lighting system for my small studio set up that i'm building here...so...it feels like a dilemma...

help?

It was well worth the upgrade going from a D5000 to a D7000 for me.

The D7000 has Commander mode built-in, likely negating the need for a SU-800. I realize the SU-800 has a bit more range but.....

I much prefer the versatility and range a radio triggering system offers over an IR system like CLS, and i don't much care for the inconsistant results i-TTL delivers.

I'm way smarter than a Nikon camera and flash unit, so I just use manual modes and much less expensive 3rd party lighting gear, particularly in a studio setting where FP-sync isn't needed.

i would recommend getting a used 1ds2.

YOU are a TROLL! Keeps on saying that in every thread where people are thinking of getting a D7000..
Not gonna say it again, the D7000 eats the 1ds2 for dinner and ****s it out again all over another 1ds2. :)

Honestly, between those two choices, I would pick up the D7000, but I would probably skip the SU-800. Maybe instead of picking up an SB-600, use the difference to pick up an SB900 or used SB800.

The D7000 has Commander mode built-in, likely negating the need for a SU-800. I realize the SU-800 has a bit more range but.....

I much prefer the versatility and range a radio triggering system offers over an IR system like CLS, and i don't much care for the inconsistant results i-TTL delivers.

I'm way smarter than a Nikon camera and flash unit, so I just use manual modes and much less expensive 3rd party lighting gear, particularly in a studio setting where FP-sync isn't needed.

So yes...worth the upgrade? or not?

my goal with the SU-800 is kind of temporary. In december, with my christmas bonus, i will purchase the radio triggering system...but at this point, i am preferring i-TTL until i learn more about the exposures..

...but what exactly does manual involve..just adjust each flash to +3.0 or -3.0?
is that all
or is it more involved than that...?

you realize the D7000 will fire the remote flashes without the SU-800?

yes...but with the same range? same strength?

No not quite. but its firing mine. I'm debating pocket wizards, the su-800 doesn't seem like a lot of bang for the buck over the pop-up flash. But my pop up flash is handling matters to the point I have other priorities for the big bux over remote i-TTL with my D7000.

yes...but with the same range? same strength?

No not quite. but its firing mine. I'm debating pocket wizards, the su-800 doesn't seem like a lot of bang for the buck over the pop-up flash. But my pop up flash is handling matters to the point I have other priorities for the big bux over remote i-TTL with my D7000.

will it fire up to 3 sb-600s?

yes, it will fire two groups of 3 matter of fact
bigthumb.gif

yes, it will fire two groups of 3 matter of fact
bigthumb.gif

I tested out 1 group of 1 the other day and it worked flawlessly. Now I'm looking for a few SB600's online. :blushing:

I can make mine fail in bright sun or when I hide one behind a tree or such, but for all practical purposes its worked great for me too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back