Is being 'gripped' a status symbol?

Tee

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not targeting anyone specifically. I just notice that gear signatures and posts that mention their gripped D3000 seem to have some sort of "look at me" feel to it. Sometimes I'll post my exif and camera info when asking for C&C. It's never occurred to me to me to make mention that my camera is gripped. So, how about it- why do you make mention that you're gripped?

*flame retardant suit on but honestly, I more curious than anything else.

I know when I first got gripped, I felt like the king of the castle...but that was yearrrrrs ago...

Not targeting anyone specifically. I just notice that gear signatures and posts that mention their gripped D3000 seem to have some sort of "look at me" feel to it. Sometimes I'll post my exif and camera info when asking for C&C. It's never occurred to me to me to make mention that my camera is gripped. So, how about it- why do you make mention that you're gripped?

*flame retardant suit on but honestly, I more curious than anything else.
I've always wondered the same thing. My D90 and D7000 have grips on them, but I wouldn't mention that in a signature any more than I'd mention that they are "Strapped and Capped".

:))

I think it is a kind of status thing. And a grip can be a fairly expensive accessory, so I guess if you are listing your gear, you like to include it amongst the other bits in the sig. Maybe if you're that way inclined, it's a bigger buzz knowing that your camera is a hefty-enough, single-digit model that don't need no grip add-on! ;-)

Grips tend to change the nature of the DSLR - its not just a DSLR, now its a DSLR with a grip. It tends to be fairly expensive an addition (heck most grips cost more than a 50mm f1.8!), plus using them makes you a proper photographer of course ;)

In the end, eh, its a gear list its going to have some element of "look what I got" behind it. Most of the time though its just there cause, everyone else does it, plus for critique threads or "what should I get next" ones its a good item to have listed out.

Consider why pro grade DSLR cameras have a grip built-in.

Having the vertical orientation controls make using that framing orientation that much more stable when a camera is hand held by allowing the photographer to keep their upper arms braced against their body.

Consider why pro grade DSLR cameras have a grip built-in.

Having the vertical orientation controls make using that framing orientation that much more stable when a camera is hand held by allowing the photographer to keep their upper arms braced against their body.

In other words, "gripped" means "I take portrait-orientation shots without my elbow sticking up into the air."

If they are gripped, there should be no excuse for orientation then.

:lol:

.... plus for critique threads or "what should I get next" ones its a good item to have listed out.

That's a valid point.:thumbup:

I'm definitely not arguing the merits or reasons of having a grip. I gots my shizz all gripped as well and love it. I just find it amusing sometimes. It's like saying "I have spinners on my Pinto".

The_Traveler said:
It's a ridiculous kind of weenie-wagging thing.

LMAO!!. I gave up buying my grip for now, and got two pocket wizzies instead.

I think having the equipment in the signature is retarded anyway and is just a way to gloat and justify purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back