Is burned out sometime acceptable

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo today and it's burned out on the right hand side.

However I see many photos that have something similar.

I can't lower the whites anymore without causing artifacts.

Comments and advice would be very welcome.

Thank you ..

Mike's Best Baked Honey Chicken Tenders

Chicken tenders with an Asian touch!

Prep time 10 min
Cook time 15-20 min
Total time 30 min

Serves 4

Ingredients

2 lbs, 900 g boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic, minced
Olive oil

* Optional - 1/4 cup sliced green onions - leaks and shallots would work too.

Lightly coat an oven pan and arrange the chicken tenders in a single layer.
Use aluminum foil for an easier honey clean up.
Mix the honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and dried onion and brush over chicken.
Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in fridge for about an hour, longer would be better.
Turn the chicken at least once during the marinating time.
Remove chicken from fridge - it must be at room temperature when you cook it.
Heat oven 425°F, 220°C and bake chicken for about 10 minutes
Turn chicken pieces over and top with sliced green onions, if using, and return to oven and bake for another10 minutes more.
Chicken is cooked when juices run clear, or internal temperature reaches 160°F, 71°C
honey chicken and rice - greener veg-3.jpg

The short answer is no, in general.

The long answer is it totally depends what you are aiming for, and how high your standards are. Given that photography is essentialy a form of art then I wouldn't rule it out as a concept, but it has to be either: adding to the shot in some kind of creative way (like creating a feel, mood or the like) or the subject and the image needs to be strong enough to overpower the flaw (Lew posed a good example of this recently with sharpness). With this kind of straight shot of food in studio conditions (by that I just mean somewhere you can really control the light and the setting very well) I don't think it's acceptable if you are aspiring to top quality shots.

I can't help but think that you'll have an easier time with your lighting if you find something other than that orange shiny mahogany table that appears in all your photos. Maybe a nice sheet of black poster board, or a neutral colored tablecloth?

I'm not being snarky here, I genuinely think it will help.

I can't help but think that you'll have an easier time with your lighting if you find something other than that orange shiny mahogany table that appears in all your photos. Maybe a nice sheet of black poster board, or a neutral colored tablecloth?

I'm not being snarky here, I genuinely think it will help.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have lots of photos on different backgrounds and masking the table is only a few mouse clicks away. ;-)

I wish the background and not the lighting - photons - was my problem.

Two minutes later
bg.jpg
(could be much better) ...

You could also try a colored plate. Shooting a white item on a white bacglkground is a recipe for difficulties, as is shooting a black subject on a black backgound. It needs separation. I don't know that the rice is burned out as much as it just blends into the plate. Tought to say viewing it on my phone.

Just a thought.

Eta... on second glance the rice is a little blown out kn the right, but a color separation would've probably helped that some.

try using more diffusion between the light and subject.

Or try reflecting the light towards the subject.
ie, do not shoot the light directly to the subject. use postboards around the subject and shoot the light at the posterboard. (or light pointed up to reflect off of board above the subject) this will help minimize the hotspots you are getting with the white rice/plate.

To answer your question in the title; it depends. To me, I would say that you should always strive for technical excellence, which means no "burnouts". But if the blown parts are quite small relative to much larger areas that receive proper exposure, then at a certain level of photography, they can be overlooked. This shot however, hurts my eyes due to the large area that is completely white. It simply overpowers the remainder of the frame.

Try an overall reduction in exposure. Reduce the key light. Reduce the reflector fill to increase the split.

The plate is not all in the photo ????????????
Pretty basic food photography is to have the whole plate in the frame....

However I see many photos that have something similar.

Comments and advice would be very welcome.

Thank you ..

Mike's Best Baked Honey Chicken Tenders

Chicken tenders with an Asian touch!

Prep time 10 min
Cook time 15-20 min
Total time 30 min

Serves 4

Ingredients

2 lbs, 900 g boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic, minced
Olive oil

* Optional - 1/4 cup sliced green onions - leaks and shallots would work too.

Lightly coat an oven pan and arrange the chicken tenders in a single layer.
Use aluminum foil for an easier honey clean up.
Mix the honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and dried onion and brush over chicken.
Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in fridge for about an hour, longer would be better.
Turn the chicken at least once during the marinating time.
Remove chicken from fridge - it must be at room temperature when you cook it.
Heat oven 425°F, 220°C and bake chicken for about 10 minutes
Turn chicken pieces over and top with sliced green onions, if using, and return to oven and bake for another10 minutes more.
Chicken is cooked when juices run clear, or internal temperature reaches 160°F, 71°C
View attachment 117586

Which are you posting about the food you are cooking or your picture quality ?

When partially polarized light or polarized light strikes all non metallic smooth surfaces it creates polarized reflection. (AKA GLARE )

In almost every reply I have tried to tell you that you will be running into polarized reflection issues.

Well welcome to photographing products with a non metallic smooth surface .
This is covered in the book light science and magic, the book you already own .

You could also try a colored plate. Shooting a white item on a white bacglkground is a recipe for difficulties, as is shooting a black subject on a black backgound. It needs separation. I don't know that the rice is burned out as much as it just blends into the plate. Tought to say viewing it on my phone.

Just a thought.

Eta... on second glance the rice is a little blown out kn the right, but a color separation would've probably helped that some.

thanks !

try using more diffusion between the light and subject.

Or try reflecting the light towards the subject.
ie, do not shoot the light directly to the subject. use postboards around the subject and shoot the light at the posterboard. (or light pointed up to reflect off of board above the subject) this will help minimize the hotspots you are getting with the white rice/plate.

I shot light directly at the subject, thanks.

Changed in PS - had to learn about adding light in PS - how deep is the rabbit hole ?

Does different table bg look fake?

If yes, then what does it need?

Thanks
final chicken tenders and rice.jpg

Changed in PS - had to learn about adding light in PS - how deep is the rabbit hole ?

ThanksView attachment 117656

It looks fake. The "Table" is vertical orientation and the plate is horizontal. That makes the table look more like a backdrop than a table.

It looks fake. The "Table" is vertical orientation and the plate is horizontal. That makes the table look more like a backdrop than a table.
Thanks. I will find out if there is a way to do it in PS or if it only works when you shoot straight down.

Thanks. I will find out if there is a way to do it in PS or if it only works when you shoot straight down.
Maybe perspective warp?

Most reactions

Back