Is Canon number #2?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tend to hang out with photographers community and taking photography classes. I see most photographers carry Nikon cameras. Seems like Nikon is very popular than Canon.

Last edited:
I think it depends on which crowd you hang with.

Why not check the sales numbers to test your theory?

Thats weird cause its exactly the opposite here In Toronto, everyone carries a Canon.

I went to a photo convention in Los Angeles yesterday and I would say that the room was split in half. Half had canon and half Nikon, I felt out of place with my Sony a77.

Canon sells more cameras world-wide than Nikon, in both the d-slr category, and in the digital point & shoot category.

It's definitely split, I typically see a ratio of 70/30(Canon/Nikon) when it comes to pro photographers however (My experience)

Google Canon/Nikon market share.

I took a class on macro photography a few months ago, I was surprised to see that on about 15 people attending, nobody had a canon.

Sometimes when you attend seminars and such what camera brand you see more of depends on what the instructor uses and who the sponsor is. Folks who follow certain instructors like to try to use the same or similar system. And advertising by sponsors will appeal to those who use that brand so they will flock together.

It can also depend on the local shops - a local shop might well push one brand over another (either planned or its just what the shop staff "like" more) and as a result when they also advertise training courses you end up with a heavier population of one group over the other.

As for which is best you've two options to work it out:

1) Flip a coin

2) Have very specific requirements and then put the brand as a whole (lenses, bodies, flashes, etc..) to the test of which meets the needs for those requirements the best for your budget. Note chances are you might well find that it doesn't actually matter or that if it does the margin of gain is so slight as to be a null point.

Honestly there is nothing you can do with a Nikon that you can't do with a Canon and nothing you can do with a Canon that you can't do with a Nikon. Heck if you restrict yourself to own brand lenses only there is only 1 lens that actually divides the two brands and that is the Canon MPE 65mm macro which is a darn rare lens (even in macro circles its the luxury/rare option). And heck you can get better results than it can produce with some alternative setups (although you tend to lose the 1:1 to 5:1 "zoom" feature and the alternatives might well cost you more and require some DIY)

Canon vs Nikon, will it ever end ?

Everybody knows Nikon is much better LOL
Just kidding.

In my photography monthly meetings the organizers of the meetings are 2 pro photographers, one has a Nikon and the other Canon.
Every meeting they will laugh at each other camera brand and all in good spirit of course.
It all comes down to a personal choice and each maker makes very good cameras.

In Toronto indeed you can see more Canon DSLR then Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back