Is film making a comeback or is digital just boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
hen you go on and accuse me of being thin skinned, another straw man accusation,
You don't know me if you did you would never accuse me of that,

This is the problem with internet comments without benefit of face to face interaction, every comment can be taken out of context depending on how you read it. I didn't accuse "you" - specifically my full text "unless you have thick skin and are willing to debate the subject without getting your feelings hurt, it's one of those subject best avoided." I meant it's a general requirement of debating controversial subjects on an internet forum. See how easy it is to misconstrue intended meanings?

TPF is not a social media, pat you on the back and make you feel good kind of site. There are a few not so nice people (that's what the Block feature is for) but by and large the criticism is meant to enlighten and not harm. Over time I assure you that you will learn a lot.

Likewise I never intended to offend you, nor was every word you've posted misconstrued (on my part), I think I even agreed with you on some of it. I also don't see it as bad thing that you can't delete your account, one hiccup doesn't have to define the future.

Sadly I can't reconsider deleting my account Smoke because it seems I can't delete my account so you're stuck with me

Sorry guys

A few clarifications
1) We can delete profiles, however we typically only reserve that treatment for spambots. Regular user accounts are not generally deleted because they can mess with the sites structure, organisation and flow of the site. It also helps avoid people pulling flounce tricks and other issues. That said you can edit your post content at any time if you so choose.

2) If you want to leave you can simply change your registered email in your settings to a random string of letters and numbers "@" a random string of letters and number and you won't get email notifications any more; then just log out and delete the link in your browser.

I would hope that one small miscommunication and discussion wouldn't drive you off the site. Part of being within a community is learning to tolerate, appreciate and accept different points of view from your own. Many times there is no correct answer, just variations in opinion and viewpoint. Sharing those ideas is healthy and good and its why many of us choose to come to a community site as opposed to, perhaps, more "like/favourite" orientated galleries with limited conversation options.

TPF is not a social media, pat you on the back and make you feel good kind of site. There are a few not so nice people (that's what the Block feature is for) but by and large the criticism is meant to enlighten and not harm. Over time I assure you that you will learn a lot.

1) If you feel you are being insulted/harassed or otherwise abused use the REPORT function first (lower left corner of a post). In the little window that appears type the reason for your report (its a big window but it only shows small so you can go into as much detail as you need). This will then let the mods see that post you've reported and, most importantly, your reason (since we too can interpret things differently).

2) The block feature is also present for when you have issues with a user that you cannot otherwise resolve. It lets you soft ignore their posts on the site (you will still see the slot it takes and can click to reveal it, butin general it will be hidden content).

I forgot to put butter on it...

This thread is doomed.
Yeah, I wish someone would have remembered that, as a TPF guideline:

"No digital vs. film/traditional arguments or debates are allowed. We have separate forums where the virtues of both mediums are discussed. No provoking comments will be tolerated."

Unfortunately, the OP was seemingly unaware of this guideline and apparently several other members were, too. This thread is a perfect example of why we added the rule.

Everyone shoots in a manner that suits them best. Making general declarations about why their way is superior is going to needlessly ruffle feathers.

In the future, if you come across a thread like this, please report it! Thanks.

A scholarly debate of film vs digital:

debate.gif

"Unfortunately, the OP was seemingly unaware of this guideline and apparently several other members were, too. This thread is a perfect example of why we added the rule."

It would be fair to say I was unaware of this guideline but that said my original post had nothing to do with film v digital, I wasn't advocating one over the other, people should read things before they comment on them.
It was turned into a film v digital argument mainly by cgw who clearly wanted it to be a film v digital argument
I only suggested that using old film cameras could improve our photography and give us a better understanding of the science, nobody had to agree but it's possible to respectfully disagree with someone without being nasty.
I think it's quite sad that there has to be such a guideline because quite honestly if something as unimportant in life as film or digital got me as wound up as it clearly gets cgw and some other posters on here then I'd be taking a long hard look at myself

I think we are now going in circles and getting no where positive nor productive. I think its time to draw this to a close, put a line under it and let us all move on.

No punishments, no winners and no losers; just a difference of opinion and lets move on to move exciting and interesting things like the photos we get from our tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back