Is it a fungus or is it...

Discussion in 'Just For Fun!' started by limr, Oct 1, 2015.

  1. limr

    limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2013
    Messages:
    19,497
    Likes Received:
    10,761
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...braaaaaiiiiins?

    Good decoy to fool the zombies, I bet. Stock up on yours fast before the apocalypse!

    [​IMG]
    Braaaaaaaiiiiiins
    by limrodrigues, on Flickr


     
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. tirediron

    tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Messages:
    45,748
    Likes Received:
    14,782
    Location:
    Victoria, BC
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Freaakkkkkkkkky!
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. unpopular

    unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    9,471
    Likes Received:
    1,994
    Location:
    Montana
    Looks like a Chicken of the Woods. Which is a mushroom I've hunting for for years. If so, while sporadically mildly toxic, it supposed to taste like chicken (i know, right!).

    (disclaimer: do not identify mushrooms through some dude on the internet. do not eat any mushroom without properly identifying it yourself)
     
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ron Evers

    Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    6,622
    Likes Received:
    2,579
    Location:
    In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

    See here:
     
  5. Raj_55555

    Raj_55555 Indian God of Photography Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2013
    Messages:
    2,677
    Likes Received:
    2,042
    Location:
    India
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looks a great deal like corals, you sure you aren't underwater? :lol:

    Or just try to eat the shroom, if it tastes like chicken and you get mildly poisoned, it's Chicken of Woods.
    If you die however, it's something else! :lol:
     
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sm4him

    sm4him In memoriam Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    10,726
    Likes Received:
    5,461
    Location:
    The Beautiful Hills of East Tennessee
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sporadically mildly toxic?!?! That is Awe. Some.
    It would almost be worth trying a taste just to see if you end up sporadically mildly poisoned.
    Almost.
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. vintagesnaps

    vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Messages:
    8,668
    Likes Received:
    2,747
    Location:
    US
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit



    Check out the camera (Instamatic?).
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. jaomul

    jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Messages:
    5,715
    Likes Received:
    1,552
    Location:
    Cork Ireland
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    That's magic ;)
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. unpopular

    unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    9,471
    Likes Received:
    1,994
    Location:
    Montana
    But it's a mushroom that tastes like chicken!

    Actually, a good number of edible wild mushrooms are inconsistent like this, probable a third of any mushroom books will have these warnings ("Edible With Caution"). It's not unusual for some people to get a reaction while others do not, for toxin concentrations to be normally low but occasionally higher, or absorb toxins from their environment, such as from their host plant. According to wikipedia, with this particular mushroom compounds from a host eucalyptus can accumulate and cause nausaea or headaches. Typically when something is considered "edible" they are normally not toxic, but occasionally mild, non-life threatening symptoms can occur in some situations. Many boletes for example have a slime coating which must be removed, else they will cause you to feel a bit ill.

    Aside from a few, I don't know of any such which would typically cause you to actually get "sick" aside from some passing gastrointestinal problems, though in some people it can be a more severe. There are a few which people say things like "ok if you boil three times and discard the water, otherwise you'll die" - but personally, I hardly think any mushroom is worth that much trouble/risk.

    In any case, it is never recommended to feed small children any wild mushroom, at least not in a culinary - as opposed to a survival - setting. There are a few where the entire genus is not toxic and it's easily identified, puffballs and certain shaggy inkys and jellies (tree ears, etc), that I wouldn't feel too bad giving my kids, but just to be safe I don't.
     
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. limr

    limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2013
    Messages:
    19,497
    Likes Received:
    10,761
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Feeling a bit ill just reading the words "slime coating." ;)
     
    • Like Like x 1
  11. unpopular

    unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    9,471
    Likes Received:
    1,994
    Location:
    Montana
    I hate those slippery jims. They're TOTALLY more work than they are woth.
     
  12. limr

    limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2013
    Messages:
    19,497
    Likes Received:
    10,761
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit


    That's how I feel about a lot of mushrooms. The taste is fine but not worth the trouble of dealing with the unpleasant (for me) texture. I'll eat them, but don't really go out of my way to have them, and if there's too many in a dish, I'll start picking them out after I hit my limit.

    There are a few exceptions (and possibly more but I haven't tasted them yet). Morels are delish and are at least easier to deal with chopped up. And truffles...dear god, truffles are like crack for me, and there's no issue with texture because they are usually shaved anyway.
     

Share This Page