is it better to...

minniemouse22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a mini studio in my home for children and newborns. I'm striving to be a natural light photographer and while I'm using the natural light from the window behind me, I was wondering if I should move my set up and place the window to me left and have a reflector on my right? I just purchased a Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector and I am hoping this will be adequate for this type of shooting? Shadows can be a problem if I have a parent over my shoulder cheering on their toddler but it's not all the time either. I do have a speed light but, correct me if i'm worng, these are not good for continuous shooting? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Double post, or am I losing it?

Minniemouse22; I can't imagine that having the window to one side over the other would make a significant difference. Good luck on the window light.

Not sure what you mean by "continuous shooting".

Why don't you arrange the room and try it out? There's too many variables for us to make a choice for you. I mean, you have a reflector and camera. How hard can it be to take 10 minutes and try it another way?

In the northern hemisphere, north facing windows provide the most consistent light.

In the northern hemisphere, north facing windows provide the most consistent light.

I thought there is only one window in her studio and that she is simply moving her camera. Not sure I understand the question now.

Just give up on being a purely natural light thing and learn how to properly use flash. If you're doing it right, no one will know the difference.

Just give up on being a purely natural light thing and learn how to properly use flash. If you're doing it right, no one will know the difference.
^This.

The difference between natural light and artificial light is that with the latter you have total control all the time, every time. That includes direction, amount, color temperature, softness - everything. That gives you consistency and complete flexibility, day or night, sunny or overcast, no matter where the window is located in your studio space.

You owe it to yourself and you owe it to your clients to get a complete handle on your light, and you do that by getting away from "natural" light, and creating a "natural" look with light that you have complete control over at all times.

^This.

The difference between natural light and artificial light is that with the latter you have total control all the time, every time. That includes direction, amount, color temperature, softness - everything. That gives you consistency and complete flexibility, day or night, sunny or overcast, no matter where the window is located in your studio space.

You owe it to yourself and you owe it to your clients to get a complete handle on your light, and you do that by getting away from "natural" light, and creating a "natural" look with light that you have complete control over at all times.

^^agree on all of the above.
couple of speedlights, stands, and diffusers will get you all the light you will ever need. AND it will get you that light WHERE you need it, and WHEN you need it, regardless of how cloudy it is outside.

There is only light, a photon doesn't care where it came from or where it's going.

There are however clouds, the amount of air and it's quality, and night to consider. Things which can make you a part time photographer. ;]

I knew someone was going to bring up the "only one kind of light" comment. C'mon, man. It's easier to distinguish daylight as "natural" versus light coming from an electric/ battery powered device as "artificial".

The main point for the OP to take away is that using strobed light with a variety of light modifiers allows substantially greater flexibility and control.

I knew someone was going to bring up the "only one kind of light" comment. C'mon, man. It's easier to distinguish daylight as "natural" versus light coming from an electric/ battery powered device as "artificial".
Right. When we use the terms "natural" and "artificial", we're using shorthand to refer to the way it's generated, not what light is made of. Is that really not common knowledge?

The main point for the OP to take away is that using strobed light with a variety of light modifiers allows substantially greater flexibility and control.

^^^pretty much nails it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back