is it better to...

Going to Ethiopia? Going to pack some monolights that are strong enough to overpower African sunlight as well as external power sources? Probably not.

Shooting outdoors in Africa is quite different than shooting in the states in a home studio. There is absolutely not a reason to limit yourself to available light coming in through a window. That kinda puts a poop blanket on any prospects of doing a shoot on a cloudy day.

Without accessible, consistent lights indoors, you are at the mercy of the weather. It also will significantly cut down shooting time during the winter. Being a "natural light photographer" is kind of a joke. And by "kind of" I mean I laugh out loud every time I read "I am a natural light photographer."*

*Unless the natural light photographer has some kind of god tier portfolio.

Still disagree with you if you have mastered your craft you have mastered it whether it is strobes or available light. There are famous natural light photographers who given side by side with an advanced flash photographer I would choose the natural light 100% of the time. Maybe it is preference I do not know but I also think they get a bad wrap when in all actuality they are seriously talented.
Just looking at the end photos and not knowing who shot them or under what conditions, when advanced flash photographers want a natural light look, they achieve it. So no, you wouldn't choose the natural light 100% of the time, because you wouldn't even know which is which.

Obtain and read all of Joe McNally's books, and you'll see plenty of examples of this.

This is not to say that photographers who use only natural light cannot get good results. Obviously, they can, IF the available light is available AND will work to their advantage. And that's the crux of the biscuit: They're limited by that available light, time of day, angle associated with their subject(s), atmospheric conditions, etc., etc., etc., whereas a photographer who can use either available light OR flash effectively is not constrained or limited.

He said what I was going to.

Sorry, but limiting yourself only to "natural" light sounds like limiting yourself with only the 18-55 kit lens "because it naturally came with the camera."

People have spent a lot of R&R making equipment better to produce better end results. If you have clientel, you would be selling them short by not having all the possibilities on hand.

Example - I would not take my band to record to a guy who only had one mediocre condenser microphone recording reel-to-reel tape. Nope, I'm going to the guy who has protools on his computer and a cabinet full of microphones. Sure they can both get a recording put down (when the gear is working), but one is obviously going to have much, much more control giving me greater end result. You'd be getting robbed going to the other guy.

Still disagree with you if you have mastered your craft you have mastered it whether it is strobes or available light. There are famous natural light photographers who given side by side with an advanced flash photographer I would choose the natural light 100% of the time. Maybe it is preference I do not know but I also think they get a bad wrap when in all actuality they are seriously talented.
How pray tell has someone mastered the craft if they ignore half of the craft? Refusing to learn and use supplemental light is like a mechanic calling himself a master mechanic but using only open-ended wrenches and not sockets because it's somehow "more pure". Photography is all about the control of light, whether controlled at the camera or controlling the light itself. Of course a photographer has to know how to work with ambient light, and there are some stunning images created with only ambient light, but there are many, many more stunning images which couldn't have been created at all were it not for the addition of [so-called] artificial light.

How pray tell has someone mastered the craft if they ignore half of the craft? Refusing to learn and use supplemental light is like a mechanic calling himself a master mechanic but using only open-ended wrenches and not sockets because it's somehow "more pure". Photography is all about the control of light, whether controlled at the camera or controlling the light itself. Of course a photographer has to know how to work with ambient light, and there are some stunning images created with only ambient light, but there are many, many more stunning images which couldn't have been created at all were it not for the addition of [so-called] artificial light.

Think of it as a speciality instead of ignoring. I am a pediatric nurse does that mean I don't know anything about nursing because I choose to do one type? No! I choose to specialize in one area of nursing this doesn't make me any less of a nurse than an ER, OB, NICU nurse but it is my area that interest and excites me. I really believe this can be used in every type of occupation including photography.

Think of it as a speciality instead of ignoring. I am a pediatric nurse does that mean I don't know anything about nursing because I choose to do one type? No! I choose to specialize in one area of nursing this doesn't make me any less of a nurse than an ER, OB, NICU nurse but it is my area that interest and excites me. I really believe this can be used in every type of occupation including photography.
It's more like choosing to only do nursing during the day time when the sun is shining just right through the windows, because you refuse to turn on the lights, even when it would be much better for your patients.

that analogy doesnt work too well if you can do regular nursing as well as pediatric nursing. you have chosen to learn MORE aspects of nursing, not only a part of it.

So you do have a thorough understanding of how to use flash? That's fine; knowing how to use a tool and choosing not to use it is entirely different from choosing not to learn how to use it and then disavowing it from ignorance. This is somewhat akin to the child who states he does not like <vegetable> but has never actually tried it.

Lmphotos said:
I do only choose to do nursing at a certain time.....nights ;)

You really need to bail out of this. There are a number of very experienced folks here telling you that you're missing something and you're just digging in.

Natural light is great when it suits your purposes, but it doesn't always. Mastery of a tool includes understanding when NOT to use it.

Last edited:
I think you missed my previous post as well.....I said there are some people who use natural or available light in extraordinary ways. That's it the entire opinion I have (and stick too) but every time someone comes on here and says I want to use natural light they get sledgehammered by rude comments. There was just a person who came on here and said she uses only natural light and shoots wide open and people just tore into her. (Her work is very popular and profitable where she lives) I see so many people ran off from here bc they are naive but instead of educating them on photography there is a group that is just plain rude.

Meh. It's the internet. You gotta grow you a carapace.

Plus, frankly, I've not seen anyone on here who is REALLY successful except the occasional person who shows up because they're being bashed by someone here unjustly and they foolishly break rank to come get down and dirty in the clown pit.

If you have ANY idea what any of what I just wrote means, please let me know, because I... for one... am lost.

:lol:

I think you missed my previous post as well.....I said there are some people who use natural or available light in extraordinary ways. That's it the entire opinion I have (and stick too) but every time someone comes on here and says I want to use natural light they get sledgehammered by rude comments. There was just a person who came on here and said she uses only natural light and shoots wide open and people just tore into her. (Her work is very popular and profitable where she lives) I see so many people ran off from here bc they are naive but instead of educating them on photography there is a group that is just plain rude.

that is because MOST (meaning:not ALL) of the people that get on here and say they only use natural light, do so because they don't have any lighting equipment, or dont know how to use it effectively. (or at all) a photographer should know how to work under many lighting conditions. including using strobes. what are you going to tell clients that want pictures taken on a cloudy day? sorry, I only use sunlight so...guess you have to check back with the weatherman for a reschedule.

OR, you could say...hey, no problem. see all these strobes? they make light. lets get those pictures taken!
too many people use "natural light" as a cop out. NOT as an aesthetic choice. and I think i can safely say that those that do make that choice, ALSO have and properly use flashes when it is needed. you can only educate people that are willing to learn. that are willing to make changes to improve. When you learn what DSLR stands for and start a photography business within a 6 month period...im sorry, but i really dont have much sympathy when those people dont get catered to here.

that is because MOST (meaning:not ALL) of the people that get on here and say they only use natural light, do so because they don't have any lighting equipment, or dont know how to use it effectively. (or at all) a photographer should know how to work under many lighting conditions. including using strobes. what are you going to tell clients that want pictures taken on a cloudy day? sorry, I only use sunlight so...guess you have to check back with the weatherman for a reschedule.

OR, you could say...hey, no problem. see all these strobes? they make light. lets get those pictures taken!
too many people use "natural light" as a cop out. NOT as an aesthetic choice. and I think i can safely say that those that do make that choice, ALSO have and properly use flashes when it is needed. you can only educate people that are willing to learn. that are willing to make changes to improve. When you learn what DSLR stands for and start a photography business within a 6 month period...im sorry, but i really dont have much sympathy when those people dont get catered to here.

Another dynamic here is that we have a number of visitors here that for whatever reason have decided to charge for their photography while having little experience.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing but if they come here asking for help why would any here refrain from giving them their full measure of advise?

There seems to be some romantic notion that natural light photography has the purity of some bygone era. The fact is that bygone era had bad sanitation, dangerous working conditions and practically nonexistent health care. There was also massive amounts of Bad photography it's just that enough time has passed that most of the bad has been thrown away so that what is left is mostly fair to great.

So, unless someone just wants to feel the experience of historical photography -a fun thing if you've never tried it- pointing out that what they are trying to accomplish is fair to great work is the required response.

If there is anything that really connects today's photographer to yesteryear's it's that we use every bit of available technology that we can beg, borrow or steal to achieve the final results we want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back