What's new

Is it my focus, motion blur or a camera setting?

khaymond

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Hello all! This is my first thread!

Currently I'm taking some family shots and wondering why my pictures are not as "crisp" as I think they should them to be. I want to say they are out of focus or blurred or my DOF is off????

I bought my Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lens and used it perfectly for individual shots, but when it comes to a family portrait something is off and I can't seem to put my thumb on it. I could use some construction advise or check points. My ISO is usually set at 200.

For some reason I can't post an example :(
Thanks,
Kristie
 
If you are shooting wide open (f/1.4) then that is probably the problem. You can probably get lucky and hit focus for 1 person but probably not multiple people.
The sweet spot of this lens is by closing it down 2 full stops. Also, I read somewhere that if your photographing 4 people your aperture should be at least 4 (but preferably higher).
 
Thanks, I checked on my f-stop and it is 7.1 with 1/80 shutter speed.
Here is the picture thumbnail link:
 
Your focus point is 20'. I would think shooting that scene with a 50mm lens, it should be closer to 10-15' At f/7.1, your DOF would be ~14-35'.

Yet I don't see anything in the background that's any sharper.

What lens are you using (a low-end consumer lens may be the culprit)? Any filter (cheap filters can cause this as well)?
 
Thanks, I checked on my f-stop and it is 7.1 with (1/80 shutter speed) There's your problem.
Here is the picture thumbnail link:

Your shutter speed is too slow for your shaking hands, open up the aperture, bring in more light, you'll get a faster shutter speed.
 
Thats just a guide. People usually use 1/focal length. So if you use a 50mm then you need about 1/50. That is just a rule if you are steady like a surgeon. Usually I like to make it a lot faster. How much faster? You will know in time. I have broken the rules so many times (go slower than 1/focal length) and get awesome sharp photos.
 
Here's some guidelines for shutter speed:
The way I was taught in school-your shutter speed must be equal to or greater than your focal length to avoid blur from motion. In this case 1/50. That was for still life.
If the subject is alive, it's not a still life. No slower than 1/125 and that is if your subjects can hold still for the pose.
If it is alive and moves like kids do no slower than 1/250
If it moves fast no slower than 1/500-that's a baseline minimum for most sports.

Edit to add... When I clicked on your photo and looked at it... It also looks like your focus falls before your subjects about a foot. Where did you think you locked your focus at? eyes?
Check for a front focusing lens too.
 
Yep, think it's just ever so slight camera shake, as nothings 100% sharp. As others have said, 1/60th is too slow in general for most handholding, unless you do a heck of a lot of it so can get used to it (at a push, i've seen me handholding at 1/30th, but not to be recommended!) reduce the aperture and bump up the shutter speed n i'm sure you'll be good to go.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom